• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build my A64 Shuttle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nico3k

Hello. I am in need of a quiet low-power high-speed Athlon64 shuttle setup.
I was thinking of getting the shuttle along with a mobile 3400+ A64, but I am not sure about all the compatibility.
How about this shuttle with this processor? will there be any issues?
I remember reading threads about 2500+ mobile barton and shuttles not working too great together.

The system needs to meet following requirements:
-(Mobile?) Athlon64 3200+ or faster
-PC3200 DDR support
-GIGABIT Ethernet

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would not use a mobile cpu with a shuttle, simply because it has an exposed core and the heatsink uses side to side clips to attach itself. You will most likely chip the core and kill the cpu. Get a newcastle with a heatspreader, my friend's 2800+ NC can do 1.2v at stock speeds.

Yuriman said:
I would not use a mobile cpu with a shuttle, simply because it has an exposed core and the heatsink uses side to side clips to attach itself. You will most likely chip the core and kill the cpu. Get a newcastle with a heatspreader, my friend's 2800+ NC can do 1.2v at stock speeds.

I see what you're saying about the exposed core, but I've installed hundreds of athlons with exposed cores and such so shouldn't it still be possible? Maybe a different heatsink?
The main reason I am picking the mobile is not for overclocking, but for low power and quiet operation.
The newcastle is a 512kb L2 socket939 (won't fit into that shuttle) and also uses more power than the clawhammer and runs at 1.5v instead of 1.4.

1. The shuttle comes with a heatpipe cooler which works better than just about anything you can fit in it. I installed a torin blower on mine and got about 40c full load. If you look at how it attaches, you will see that it will most likely rock a bit if not on a cpu with a heatspreader.
2. A newcastle 3200+ socket 754 can probably undervolt down to that equal to a mobile. + Mobiles are not any quieter, thats in the fan.
3. They make socket 754 newcastles as well. + you can undervolt.

Last edited:
the top power that the s939 winchesters use will be a lot less than a clawhammer. I recommend you to get a s939 shuttle, but if you want this one, just get a desktop CPU, and turn on Cool'n'Quiet, that's what it is for. The A64 run cooler than most CPUs anyway, so I don't think you have a reason to worry.

thanks for all the good advice. could you guys recommend a shuttle to along with the processor? im looking into the s939 and NC setups, but I don't know what shuttles are decent

Pretty much all shuttles are decent lol. And...as far as I know, there is(or was) just 1 socket 939 model. If you get 939, make sure you get a Winchester.

Alright I have done some reading, and I think I have come to a good decision. The 939 3500+ 90 nm a64 winchester seems like an awesome chip to go with. Only runs at 1.4v (perfect) and has the heatspreader. I also found the shuttle with 939 chip support and gigabit LAN.

Any other comments before I purchase? Will these 2 work flawlessly together? -
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-494&depa=1
and
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=56-101-457&depa=1

Thanks again

What about ram? Are you going to abandon the system in your sig and strip it of parts? Why not get a 3200+ and buy a small stick of ram and a cheap video card for that system?

Oh no this system is for 60" LCD TV downstairs. Need a good computer that can play back high resolution HDTV windows media files. The memory is 512MB PC3200 Kingston HyperX.
It should be here tomarrow. I'll take pics when it's all up and running. The Winchester should be awesome :)

Back