• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was I ripped off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rumrunner

I recently purchased an "supposed" AMD 2400 XP from an aquaintance with a SOYO mobo, but I am not sure that it is a 2400.

I am suspicuous because when I load the FAIL SAFE DEFAULTS in the BIOS, It clocks the CPU as an AMD 1800+. Does that mean what I think it means?

It is already installed on the mobo with a heat sink and fan. I am trying to avoid pulling off the heatsink.

well had you of looked at the main code and written it down for us, we might be able to tell us. for now though i think your SOL

Er you are loading the fail safe defaults of your mobo so it boots up at 100FSB (x 15 multi) instead of 133FSB (x 15 multi) thats all. Just change it to 133FSB in your bios - simple.

rob 119 said:
I don't think bios failsafe defaults is supposed to underclock a cpu is it?

Failsafe mode ensures that the FSB is at the lowest setting possible so as to avoid overclocking a low end chip. Your FSB should be set to 133MHz for your cpu (Unless you have a sempron 2400, which runs at 166).

CPU MHz = Multiplier x FSB
1500MHz = 15 x 100 (which is what you were set at with failsafe, equivenent to 1800+)
1995MHz = 15 x 133 (which is what it's supposed to be, equivelent to 2400+)

I doubt it.
When my old NF7-S used to boot up it used to detect my XP 2200+ as a 1700+ clocked at 1350 Mhz, but that was only for the BIOS setup.

Enter your BIOS (press delete or whatever key), proceed directly to save and exit and it should restart up again as the right processor dispaly (press delete again to enter the BIOS to see).

So it's just a system setup thing - I got worried too (but ofcourse I knowI have an XP 2200+ ;)

rob 119 said:
I recently purchased an "supposed" AMD 2400 XP from an aquaintance with a SOYO mobo, but I am not sure that it is a 2400.

I am suspicuous because when I load the FAIL SAFE DEFAULTS in the BIOS, It clocks the CPU as an AMD 1800+. Does that mean what I think it means?

It is already installed on the mobo with a heat sink and fan. I am trying to avoid pulling off the heatsink.
I remember feeling what you must have felt when I built my first PC and it was identified as a much slower one. I was like " Doh!!! ...I been had!" Felt a lot better after selecting CPU frequency in Bios , then later pushing the FSB and voltage up to make it much FASTER than what I bought.
The thrill of victory :clap: and the agony of defeat :cry:

rob 119 said:

Don't panic about being ripped off just yet!!! It's likely that symptom is just caused by the FSB being underclocked, at 100 mhz. (100x15.0) If the default multiplier is at 15, then it's probably a genuine Athlon XP 2400+.

Ok good deal then. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't oc'd to make it look like a 2400. lol. Allright then thank you all.

Rob

Back