• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was Sapphire using crappy GPU heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

I remembered reading a post at Emutalk.net about a Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro having video corruption even with the frequencies at stock.

When I saw a picture of a Sapphire heatsink, it looked like it possibly was too small. Just a little round GPU heatsink with a fan.

Possibly even smaller than the heatsink on my Tyan Tachyon Radeon 9000 Pro! If that's the case, no wonder it had major problems. :temper:

Last edited:
I have a black sapphire 9800se that has that heatsink. After switching it and the silvery thermal goo for a stock 9800pro heatsink and AS5, I was able to overclock the core 100 more Mhz.

I would think it would depend on case ventilation to some extent as well - if the card was in a small, cramped, hot case with poor airflow then problems would be more likely to develop than in a system with plenty airflow around the graphics card.

yeah but regardless the heatsink still needs to effectively transfer heat from the core to the heatsink, a bad design still won't be good with good air flow

Quailane said:
I have a black sapphire 9800se that has that heatsink. After switching it and the silvery thermal goo for a stock 9800pro heatsink and AS5, I was able to overclock the core 100 more Mhz.

Oh gees it is getting deep in here lol.

Viper

Is that one like the one on the Sap. 9600's? From my point of view that's the crappiest H/S you can put on a card..... Maybe if they could just make it a litte bit bigger like this ...well maybe that's exagerating, but I've got one of 'em coming home :clap: , can't wait for it to get here for some good OCing.

Dan

Quailane said:

So you finally got it or is it the same card you had before? Did you have the L-Shaped or I-Shaped RAM on that one? Anyway, I'm going to get another one like the one I got before (L-shaped BGA Samsung 3.3ns RAM, which softmodded perfectly) and put it on E-bay.

Hey, how did you get the HSF off of your card? Any suggestions? Did yours have the round heatsink or the square black aluminum one?

Back