• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.5ghz w/o HT or Less then 4.5ghz w/ HT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

After running prime95, 4.5ghz is not stable with HT enabled (failed after 5 mins). With HT disabled i ran prime95 all night (7 hours... until i manually stopped it)...
i have it oc with my new vapochill ls.

What do you think i should do? I have four options:
1)lower the clock till my cpu is stable with HT enabled
2)leave it at 4.5ghz w/o HT
3)try oc further (since 4.5ghz is now stable)
4)figure a way of making 4.5ghz w/ HT stable (this is were i need your guys' help.... anyone know of a guide for an Asus P4c800e-dlx to make all the bios settings optimal for a high oc?)

What do you guys think?

I bought a brand new 3.2e:
Vapo009.jpg

Vapo010.jpg

Here is where my cpu stands now:

OC005.jpg

Basically, is HT worth it? Ive noticed my pcmark2004 score dropped almost a 1000 points, but does that really mean my pc is that much slower?

Personally I wouldn't run it with HT disabled. Whether you're at 4.5 or 4 GHz isn't going to make a noticable difference in anything but benchmarks. However, having the benefit of HT when running CPU intensive tasks will definitely be noticable.

I think you try both rather than creating a (pointless) guessing game.

start going down first to see where it is stable with HT - either way @ 4.5GHZ i dont think you would miss HT at all!!

DanIdentity said:
Personally I wouldn't run it with HT disabled. Whether you're at 4.5 or 4 GHz isn't going to make a noticable difference in anything but benchmarks. However, having the benefit of HT when running CPU intensive tasks will definitely be noticable.
100% Agree. IMO one of the main shinning points of the P4's is HT, they run very smooth and multitask well. Without it it is just another CPU.

larva said:
I think you try both rather than creating a (pointless) guessing game.

Im asking for people's opinion based on experience with HT enabled versus disabled... im not asking for people to guess.... i could do that...

Anyone know why a cpu would become unstable with HT enabled?

Sounds strange to me... I've ran both HT disabled and Enabled, as one of the games i play, crashes when you tab out using HT - And hated not having ht for everyday tasks..It was as if my cpu had been kicked in the perverbial.

Vio1 said:
Im asking for people's opinion based on experience with HT enabled versus disabled... im not asking for people to guess.... i could do that...

i think larva was just saying you should try it both ways one with the higher oc and ht disabled and the other with lower clock and ht enabled. since in the end your opinion on the matter will be more important than what the rest of "us" would think.

myself id choose the lower clock with ht enabled like others have mentioned ht is one of the brighter points of these chips.

the reason the cpu would become unstable with ht enabled is probably due to the fact that its putting more strain on the pipes not 100% on that though but im sure someone can correct me if im wrong (hasnt failed yet on these forums anyway)

also with a p4c800-e you may want to take a look at your vcores droop under a load also your 12v rails amps should be >24a if you want to really milk the cpu.

you could also try running a single instance of prime95 torture test and then use your pc as you normaly would with ht on then turn ht off and run the same single instance of prime and use your computer like you normaly would and see if you notice a diffrence or not.

Last edited:
This info may not be worth snot, but I had my 3.2E running @ 4.6 for a while stable, till I went for some extra performance with A DDR booster.(like i see in your sig) After that i seemed to have lost stability on my rig. Now granted i didnt try prime with the booster in, but noticed instability benching PCmock 04. As it would crash half way thorugh testing. but with other ram, and no booster It did fine. Passed PCmock, did prime, and all the other things.

Now whether this has any real bearing on your situation, I cant say. Just more food for thought. Or something to test If ya decide you like HT, and 4.5 gig.

Here are some benchmark results:

3dMark05
4.5ghz HT enabled:

- 2642 overall score
- cpu score of 4877
- test 1: 2.6fps
- test 2: 4.1fps

4.5ghz (no ht)
- 2646 overall score
- cpu score of 4683
- test 1: 2.5fps
- test 2: 4.0fps

3dmark03
4.5ghz HT enabled:

- 7143 overall score
- cpu score of 1079
- test 1: 125.8fps
- test 2: 18.2fps
4.5ghz (no ht)
- 7110 overall score
- cpu score of 1067
- test 1: 124.8fps
- test 2: 17.9fps

Sisoft Sandra 2005
Arith. HT enabled

5349/9292
Mulit. HT enabled

Arith. HT disabled
3186/5402
Mulit. HT disabled

Last edited:
Nice info there Vio1, thanks for taking the time to do so, you could also be nearing the limit of your board/ram, 281 fsb isn't bad - Perhaps the CPU draws more current from the motherboard when HT is enabled...

Just a thought.

couple things to bear in mind are that firstly hyperthreading works better with multiple tasks going running alot of benchmarks are only going to use so much of the cpu as is.

also it would be good to see some tests comparing the ht enabled results at your highest stable oc. then compare those results to your highest stable non ht oc and look for the diffrences. again the real beauty of ht comes when the chip is processing mutliple things at one time. it might be interesting for you to burn a dvd or cd while you have a game going and see how playable the game is with or without ht enabled again comparing the higher non ht oc to the lower stable ht one.

project silvers looking great btw what kind of temps are you getting with the new ls?

Vio1 said:

Could be wrong being an AMD user an all... but HT is only enabled when the CPU hit's 100%... the HT is obviously taking it one step further (for an idea we will say 0.1Ghz more) which is not stable in prime even without HT...

Graphicism said:
Could be wrong being an AMD user an all... but HT is only enabled when the CPU hit's 100%... the HT is obviously taking it one step further (for an idea we will say 0.1Ghz more) which is not stable in prime even without HT...

youll use ht without being at 100% load

I see activity on both sides of my taskmanagers cpu usage history graphs without either one of them nearing 50% load

I would not expect much difference in the 3DMark03 and 05 benchmarks since you are measuring video card performance. I get higher scores for my 9800pro->XT than you posted, and I am running an air cooled 3.0c at 3.74 GHz [5:4] (249:199 fsb). CPU speed is a factor but not much of a factor. I am not sure that hyperthreading is involved with those benchmarks anyway.
You should run PCMark04 which has several components that might benefit greatly from hyperthreading. I think you would see more of a difference as you have in the Sandra tests.
My take on this is that if you are going for a monster overclock then get it as high as possible HT or no HT. If you are going for speed in a selected application, then use HT and the lower clock if HT is relevant to the app.

hawtrawkr said:
youll use ht without being at 100% load

I see activity on both sides of my taskmanagers cpu usage history graphs without either one of them nearing 50% load

Yes I guess you are right, but clearly it doesn't take effect until you hit 100% cpu right?

Mine uses the HT part without maxing out the CPU. You can see it on the graphs, don't know why people say that it only happens when maxed out the CPU before the HT kicks in. Its a backup for calcs, and if its on progams can and will use it without tying up the main one.

As for HT would be a better option to have on. Without having it on you shoulda noticed slow downs opening applications and slower boots of it tieing to load quiet a bit of programs up durning boot. With some of those benches even telling you, expesially the sandra one, you'll notice the slow down with multi apps loading/running.

BTW burning a CD/DVD isn't CPU intensive, so burning and playing a game shouldn't affect much of anything at all. Now encoding a DVD thats a different story and with HT on, you notice minimal degrading in preformance.

BTW Gratz on that OC

Back