• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Network Keeps Disconnecting!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcjcuk

Registered
I have a Linksys wireless-g ADSL Gateway. The network connects, and so does the intenet.. But for only around 10 - 15 minutes and then it disconnects from the network. Does anyone have any ideas on how i can resolve this problem? Please post a reply if you know... Thanks! :thup:

If you are using XP and it keeps saying about new wireless networks being detected and disconnecting you, then you might try right clicking on the network icon for your wireless card and going to view available networks. Then go to advanced, and there should be a checkbox that is checked that lets Windows configure the wireless network. Once you get connected, clear the checkbox.
This is what I did when I kept getting disconnected. You will have to undo it and then redo it everytime you restart, but it doesn't take too long.

Hi, thanks for the response..... Using wired DOES work, but what is SP2? Also... what is a accespoint? electrorcamd, Your suggestion seems to have worked though... So cheerz! but is there anyway of it automatically starting up with these settings without you having to do them yourself?

Okay.. what a complete curse.... 5 minutes after posting the last message, it disconnected lol... So it hasn't worked!! Any other suggestions? oh and btw, i have to keep going onto the router and clicking SAVE SETTINGS for it to go back on again!

Last edited:
Oh sorry.. im having a blonde moment lol... I get what ya mean.. I've done that, but still doesn't make a difference!........

Theres also another problem.. I dont actually have a network where i can access other computers... file/printer sharing does not work either. Please help me :cry:

Last edited:
Try disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

Got a 2.4GHz cordless phone? That can break your wireless connection. If you are in an apartment a neighbor has one, that can cause a problem too.

I dont have one.. Not sure about neighbours... But the other day i picked up this BT thing when searching for wireless networks, i hadn't a clue what it was :s

Slackfumasta, when you disable that service, how do you setup your connection? I tried how I did it in 98SE (a program that came with my card) but that doesn't seem to work with Server 03 EE.

If you can, you might try changing the channel that your network uses. It should be in the router setup. Also, what does Windows show your signal strength to be when connected?

I will try changing the channel now, and it shows as either 'Good' or 'Very Good'. I will change the channel now and get back to you. Thanks m8!

Are you using WEP 64 or 128 encryption?
Are you using Windows to configure your wireless card or the software from the make of the wireless card?

Im using windows to configure my wireless card.... and i THINK im using 128 encryption, but not entirely sure. How do i find out? btw, i have to go onto the router and click 'Save Settings' a few times for me to get the computers to connect. Also file/printer sharing or accessing shared folders does not work between computers.

I don't know if this will help but I just had a similar problem and it turned out to be the card I was using( I am on a laptop). I stopped using the pc card that came with the router and all is well so far but it was very frustrating for a couple of hours!

Slackfumasta said:
Try disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

Wireless Zero Configuration is known for disconnects every 10-15 minutes. I'd say Slackfumasta is correct. Disable the service (Start > Run > Services.msc), and use whatever software that comes with your card.

diggingforgold said:
Wireless Zero Configuration is known for disconnects every 10-15 minutes. I'd say Slackfumasta is correct. Disable the service (Start > Run > Services.msc), and use whatever software that comes with your card.

I agree !!!

WZC does/did the disconnect thingy on me quite alot on both rigs till I disabled it . For this reason I even disable WZC on all my family and clents pc's .
DISABLE DISABLE DISABLE .....

Back