• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Htpc Psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerCan

I am looking to build a pc in an htpc case (LC 1 lc 3 or lc 10) http://www.silverstonetek.com/product-case.htm

Given that these types of cases do not have the best cooling in the world I would like a psu that helps exhaust the hot air out of the case. I know this is not the best way to do this but I will need every little bit of cooling I can get. If possible I would also like it to be modular (but not absolutly necessary)

I have looked at both the psu's I have avaiable to me right now and neither will do the job (seasonic ss400 and a fsb 530)

I would like a quality psu for this as it will be my main rig so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Some units to look at are the OCZ Modstream and Powerstream units, Fortron Blue Storms, and the modular Superflower unit here:

http://xoxide.com/superflower-ttgi-plug-n-550w-ps.html

Why exactly won't the Seasonic and Fortron units work? Seasonic just released a new S12 line - powerful enough for almost anything at up to 600w, but not sure they can be found at retailers yet.

well when I said seasonic and fortron I meant 2 psu's I had on hand. I said they would not work only because they do not seem to evacuate the air in the case.

I will look at those models you have provided me, thanks

the blue storm should work well with it's 120MM fan. IFAIK it has a little circuit board wich varies the fan speed depending on temp. In my FSP 400 watter i bypassed that little board so the fan would run full speed 24/7. Worked very well and an easy little mod.

J.

BeerCan said:
well when I said seasonic and fortron I meant 2 psu's I had on hand. I said they would not work only because they do not seem to evacuate the air in the case.

I will look at those models you have provided me, thanks

Ah I see... the 530w has pots to adjust the fan speed but not sure which they are. Might get loud too.

Instead of looking for a PSU that blows out the most heat, I'd first look for components that produce the least amount of heat, and a good and quiet heatsink.

Then I'd probably get a 14cm fan TTGI, or a Seasonic PSU. An HTPC is the one place I'd give silence more of a priority over heat dissipation.

Ended up getting the seasonic super tornado for silence. I will just have to find a way to deal with the extra cables. Also got the lc03 case

lc03 is the one I got. It was $126.00. I looked at the cavalier but was turned off by the non-standard psu.

BeerCan said:
lc03 is the one I got. It was $126.00. I looked at the cavalier but was turned off by the non-standard psu.

Non-standard? Are you talking about the size (dimensions)? It's a fine PSU for running a PVR, didn't really give any thought to swapping it out.

RideGuy

I meant its not atx (I guess it might conform to some standard).

I am using mine as my regular computer so I neede it to be slightly more flexible. I just decided I am going to w/c it also.

Back