• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid jumpers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

hey guys sorry this is dumb but um...
i have 2 80gb seagate hd's (ya there the same modle and all)
um what do i set the jumpers to??

master and slave??
or cable select??
this is IDE on my Asus p4C800-E

what all do i have to do to setup raid0?
i have my ide cable plugger into my 2 hd's and the ide cableis plugged into the onboard raid controller its the blue one at the bottemat the mobo...
sorry im new to raid and the sticky didnt help

If you can get on AIM, since you need help urgently, that would likely be easiest. Otherwise I will try to help you here.

In order for RAID to be worthwhile, you have to use two seperate channels, meaning each hard drive is connected with a seperate cable, both configured as master.

um i dont have aim....
do u have msn?
um with the mobo can use a hd on the promis controller and the other hd on the normal HD ide connector and set them both to master?

*Edit* im getting Aim seeing as every one on OC forums has it.

Last edited:
Then download the version I linked you to. I know for a fact your manual has explanations for RAID0 and RAID1.

If you are looking at the quick setup version, instead of the full version it might not cover RAID levels... The download I linked you to will cover it for certain.

mk i did it sais set the jumpers to master/slave.............wtf??
whatdo they mean one master one slave?? or they can be both slave or both master?

edit it also is saying that u use 2 ide drives for the promis controller With one sata drive.... welli dont have the one sata drive...
ugh i thouhgt his would be some were nothing on google i can find.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't be much help, but I'll try... The manual (like you said) is downright confusing!

From what Google is telling me (...not much :(), it seems as though the Promise controller can only use one of the PATA connectors (which is why in the manual they always want one of the two drives on SATA). The only way to RAID two PATA drives would be to place them onto the same IDE cable, one as master the other as slave, and plug the cable into the PRI_RAID connector. I don't know if the controller would pick up the drives after setting up the BIOS as per the manual's instructions, but it might. Even if it did though, performance wouldn't be nearly optimal since the mobo can only talk to one drive at a time if they share a cable (eliminating most of the benifit of RAID 0).

You can try and see though...
JiPu

so how do i run raid now that i bought this 80gb??can i rma it and ask fora refund?

would it work if i ran one hd on the normal ide connector and one ont he promis controller and made them both masters?

JigPu said:
The only way to RAID two PATA drives would be to place them onto the same IDE cable, one as master the other as slave, and plug the cable into the PRI_RAID connector. I don't know if the controller would pick up the drives after setting up the BIOS as per the manual's instructions, but it might.

Yes, you need to set the drives as Master and Slave. The BIOS will detect the drives as seperate IDE drives at first. Afterwards, you need to enter the Promise controller's BIOS and set up your array in there. The system will reboot after you exit. Like I.M.O.G. and JigPU mentioned, there will be no real benifeit to running the drives on a single channel. You would get better performance by just using a single SATA drive, or by getting two SATA drives and setting up the raid on them instead of the PATA drives.

ugh this is so bull....
if i have to run the 2 ide drives on 1 ide cable its point less i get like no preformance boost....
if i send the one hd back it costs me money to ship it and a restocking fee....

i cant sell the drives no one here will buy them...
i dont need the 80gb i only got it cuz it was cheap and i though the raid0 would be nice to have.....
if i get a raid card it will cost me 40$.....
if i could i would sell these both andbuy 2 sata drives...
now im stuck i just blew 70$ on this new HD and it was not worth it and even if i send it back im still stuck with my old one....
UGH!!!!!!!!!!
only if i could run the HD's one 2 cables one from the promis controller and one from the normal HD ide controller and run themin raid0 ther has to be a way...

why would asus do this! why wouldnt they make it work like that ^^?

so i think im going to have to stick with the 2 ide drives on one ide channle.... what a waist (and im not buying a raid card for like 45$ then after shipping... then it fills up my pci slot so lett air for my 6600gt..... more cables.... neeed to buy another cobra cable... ugh

What makes you think you could run RAID0 on a regular IDE controller? If that were possible, why would you need a dedicated RAID connection at all? That doesn't make any sense for it to work like that.

There is no worthwhile way which you could run RAID0 with your current configuration, that is the bottom line. Sorry, but umm, you probably should have looked into this before spending your money... If you were familiar with the hardware you were running, and prepared by looking into RAID before making a purchase, you would not be in the situation you are now in.

Talk to AMD Phreak about it. We run a raid setup on our servers using two IDE drives. I don't know exactly what he had to do to get it working, but it'd be worth it to ask him. He's at work during the day and in school during the evenings, but I'll call him and have him take a look at this thread.

I have a IDE Raid too and I have on drive on master and the other one on cable select. I only installed the Raid-driver during the windowssetup and everything was fine...

You should never use cable select, it requires special cables which people don't always use. Just use Master or Slave, as you have to set the jumpers anyways.

As I configured my Raid system i had no idea about all this(2 years ago). We just tried a few configuration and with this settings it worked(may be not the best or easiest way)
I just wanted to discribe how i managed the situation because my hardware is pretty much the same.....

Back