• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

merging 2 home networks with CISCO WAP's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok guys, im a network newb...the guy who lives behind me somehow got 2 wireless cisco access points that plug into an open port on your router.

so we would like to show up in each others network places...but heres how we are setup

i have a 2wire modem, connected to 2 linksys routers acting as switches...the 2wire gives out the IPs..

he has a crappy AOL modem and a linksys router.

so what we wanna do is, use the access points to connect our 2 networks and share files, but we want to use our own ISPs at the same time...how do we accomplish this? essentially we have 2 DHCP servers, my modem/router and his modem...we just want our own comps to use our own ISPs....changing IPs/subnets will be no problem, we havent messed with it yet, but i know its gonna cause us problems cuz we know crap about networks...thanks in advance guys.

By "Cisco" do you mean "Linksys", or are they real Cisco gear?

Do you have any experience configuring Cisco gear? Do you have a rollover cable?

1. they are in fact cisco, hes getting them from some teacher that just got a load of new wireless donations

2. haha no?
3. wtf is that? rollover do u mean crossover? cuz those i do have otherwise, i still stand by my title of NETWORK NEWB

thanks tho lol

Okey. Exactly what access points are they?

To start, change your computer's IP address to 10.0.0.2, subnet mask 255.0.0.0. Then look for a "Mode" button ... should be the only button on them. Hold it down, and plug in the access point. Release it when the lights go amber or red.

Then plug the access point into your switch, open your browser and go to http://10.0.0.1
Password=Cisco (no username)

From there you can play around a bit.. when you get me the model number(s) then I can give you more detailed information on how to set it up, or atleast point you to a cisco doc on how to do it.

Also, did you get any "flat cables" with RJ45/DB9 ends with the equipment? If not, ask the teacher for a "console/rollover cable". Although it isn't required to configure it, it's another way of doing it.

If you havn't done this before, and are new to networking, this is going to be quite an experience...

Back