• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding & windows XP(64-bit)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arlo_

I am setting up an Opteron 144 rig that I have just aquired parts for. In reading up on Opterons(yes I'm a 64-bit n00b). I came across Windows XP 64-bit beta. I figure what the hell?:confused: The frontpage link to AMDEdge ultimately got me there.

Anyway, this rig will be primarily a folder and a file server, I was just looking for any thoughts about how this would do versus a regular 32-bit install of XP. Will there be any perks besides being free for a year?:clap:

Nope wont do anything... there is no 64 bit client yet and there may never be one. It will still fold really fast though thats a good proc

I'm running Windows XP x64 Release Candidate 1 (Build 1289) on my Athlon64 rig. The 32 bit console (and the GUI) gives early exits after a minute or two at stock hardware settings. Running it in Windows XP compatibility mode doesn't work. The machine folds fine in regular 32 bit XP.

If your going to fold, for now, stick with regular 32 bit XP.

WillS said:
I'm running Windows XP x64 Release Candidate 1 (Build 1289) on my Athlon64 rig. The 32 bit console (and the GUI) gives early exits after a minute or two at stock hardware settings. Running it in Windows XP compatibility mode doesn't work. The machine folds fine in regular 32 bit XP.

If your going to fold, for now, stick with regular 32 bit XP.

Thanks. This is the info I really needed.if it isn't making PPD what use is it? :bang head

I may wait and try later though. for now, I guess I will install the reg XP and Fold. Maybe it will help me hold off Gasoline a few more days. ;)

Just to update the thread:
The new interm 1421 build of WinXP x64 fixes the compatibility problem with the 32 bit folding client.

Thought the guys contemplating the switch to x64 would like to know.

being that it is the next generation of microshafts operating systems I would say so ..still very much beta, but thats why we have beta testers...nothing to realy get excited about yet though

Yeah, I know what longhorn is, I guess I was just assuming that since it is supposed to be 64-bit only, the 64-bit XP beta would sort of morph into it in the end. maybe Ijust wasn't following my thought through to the end. Are they releasing the beta out to testers like us though? I had heard that Longhorn was very secretive still. I may just be out of date.

oc forum rule #

6. ABSOLUTLY no posting of Warez (Pirated Software), Cracks or links to Warez or Cracks sites. All such sites are illegal and pose a threat to our continued existence. NO EXCEPTIONS!

So its not available as a downloadable beta from the Evil Empire? :confused:

Is that what you are saying? That is where I got win XP 64-bit. (free for a year) :)

Back