• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag. my Hard Drive w/Norton Speed Disk, a bit high when done??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

When my 160 Gig SATA Maxtor Drive had maybe 40-80Gigs on it, I could use Speed Disk to defrag, and would afterwards would have maybe only 1-3% of the drive still fragmented.

Now I have 100 Gigs on the drive..and after a defrag, I was left with 9.9% that was still fragmented.

Also under SpeedDisk's list of most fragmented files, I used to various files I access often, now I see only the following list of files and its long so here goes..

\System Volume Information\_restore{4DDBBB2b-8D4D-48BB-A8C8-49F9C6026F74}\RP1##\snapshot\_Registry_Machine_Software

Where ## equals values 67 through 75, so 167, 168 etc.

When I analyzed my drive, these files had between 650-800 fragments...Now they have between 289-334 fragments.

I am a bit lost as to what these files actually are.

Why do I have a high percentage still fragmented???

And are those files I see in the analysis window of SpeedDisk?

Any help would be appreciated.

Those are your system restore files. I believe they're supposed to be protected. That may have something to do with why speed disk can't defragment them. I know that there's another program I've used (can't think of the name right now) that had an option to defrag at boot time because not everything could be fully defragmented under Windows. That might have something to do with it. You might could also try running the Windows defrag and then the speed disk as it might be able to handle them better, I don't know.

If you don't care about the system restore, you could also turn it off (or turn it off, apply it, then back on if you want to keep it but flush all the old restore points) under system properties.

Probably. I get better numbers than that after using the Windows defragmenter, which mostly sucks. But my system restore is also disabled and my swap file is on a separate partition.

perfect disk v 7.0 is one of the best i have ever used. organizes all ur startup files to begining of drive to increase boot time. has the defrag at boot feature

Well I actually used crappy Microsoft product to defrag..and got better results..for the first.

I got 0.6% fragrmentation when done..Surprised it was better than SpeedDisk. I suspect MS prodct can move files Norton cant

I don't like defrag on startup..I want to use my computer immediately when I turn it on..I do all maintenance when I leave my computer not when I am ready to use it.

Actually, I believe that Perfect Disk (the program i was thinkng of) has the option to have it do the reboot and defrag in the middle of the night or whenever you want.

Back