• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just finished buiding my comp but cant get it to boot because I'm not getting any pic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albaholic

just finished buiding my comp but cant get it to boot because I'm not getting any pic

just finished buiding my comp but cant get it to boot because I'm not getting any pic on the monitor
ATI All-In-Wonder 32Mb DDR (AGP)
ABit KG7 No RAID
256 pc2100 DDR
AMD AThlon 1.2ghz
400watt PSU
X Gamer 5.1
WD 40Gb 7200RPM

The HD spins and all the cdrom drives open but no pic on the monitor help please

Can be a video problem, could also be Ram or CPU, I would clear the cmos, and try out different sticks of Ram, afterwards I would have a good look if the video card is seated firmly and the CPU sits good in it´s socket,
It could also be some screw etc. shortening out the Mobo....

all the drives starting up just mean that your power supply works, if you dont hear a beep when it starts up then its something with your mobo.....

ok i hear a beep now, its is a long beep that repeats what does that mean?

Do you have memory in DIMM4 (farther away from CPU)? According to manual one should start filling slots from there. I find the numbering a little bit confusing.

Sometimes that long beep can be caused by not having a fan attached to the #1 header. You need a fan that the mobo can read its RPM or it'll think that there is no fan so it wont even try to boot.

Here is the meaning of different beeps (from viahardware.com):

There are a number of beep code you may experience:

No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board
One beep - board is working fine
One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or missing CPU
Beeeeeep-beep-beep - this means no video card detected (or poorly seated video card)
A single tone, repeated over and over. This is a memory problem (could be the DIMM, the controller, or the CPU cache memory).
A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages.
Rapid stream of beeps - this means a key is stuck on your keyboard, it is not properly plugged in, or the keyboard is incompatible in some way
Four beeps then machine shuts down - with BIOS version WW or WZb00 - this is because these version of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on FAN1 header. Make sure you attach a fan to this header! BIOS WZb01 and later have this functionality disabled by default, and it can be enabled in the BIOS.
The AWARD BIOS offers no other codes - any other error messages are displayed on the screen. Also see Award error codes.

open up your mobo manual and it should a page with beep codes, the type of beep will tell you what is wrong, it sounds to me like it cant detect a video card, try with another one, or a pci card, at least thats what a long beep means in my mobo.....

I had the same problem. I would get beep, beep, beep... It just kept beeping. After trying everything I almost gave up then i read somewhere that DDR took a lot of pressure to seat properly. even though both latches were latched. After several times I finally used enough presure I got it and all my KG7 goodness with it. Good luck to you and I hope this helps.

take your heatsink of and look to see if you crushed your core on install. I fix computers all day and this is about 90% of the problems.

Word to the wise. If you dont have somone to help you build a computer that knows what they are doing, Dont

i checked the cpu and its fine, i get a long repeating beep i will try reseating the ram and installing a pci vdeo card

Ha ha, I dont mean to sound like a smartash but is the monitor cable hooked up to the video card? And they are right, it sounds like the ram isnt seated all the way.

TUK101 said:
Ha ha, I dont mean to sound like a smartash but is the monitor cable hooked up to the video card? And they are right, it sounds like the ram isnt seated all the way.

I only the monitor cable wasn´t connected he wouldn´t be getting that beep. I do believe it´s a video card or a Ram Problem

Yes It's not the cpu or the Board. If it was either one of those you would get no beeps at all. I've had problems in the past on several computers with AGP vid cards not wanting to sit correctly in the slot. On one pc I literally had to bend the back of the case to get the vid card to seat all the way into the AGP slot. I've also had this same problem with mine on occasion. You would get a long beep followed by 3 short beeps if this is the problem.

same happend to me after taking system apart to mod, no BIOS pic, no BOOT, so i unplugged everything, cleared CMOS , plugged back in 1 at a time till all was working. It was loose IDE cables

Back