• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice on A7V333 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbdd

hi all,

i have an A7V333 with an Athlon XP 2100+ and 1 GB of Corsair XMS DDR333 (two stick of 512 MB each). this board is not over clocked, as it is a work computer and i need maximum reliabilty. power is a 550-watt Enermax, and there are plenty of fans for cooling. i have run this combo for about 2.5 years now, and was looking to upgrade the CPU and add more RAM.

recently, i bought one more stick of the same Corsair RAM (same stuff but newer version than the other 2 sticks) and put it in. worked fine for the afternoon, so i turned to updating the BIOS to support the new Athlon XP 3000+ CPU i bought. i went from BIOS version 1015 to 1017, which was what i was supposed to need to run the new CPU.

after flashing, the computer would no longer boot up with the 2100+ set at the proper speed of 1733 MHz (13x133). it would crash, freeze, spontaneously reboot, etc as if it had been overclocked (but it was not). when i set the machine down to 1300 MHz (10x133), it seemed to work.

anyway, long story short, i found out the 3000+ CPU will not work with the version of the A7V333 i have, so i have set that aside. i never even unmounted the old CPU from the board, i just pulled the RAM out and re-seated it.

i reflashed the BIOS back to the 1015 version, which seemed more stable. but, i still cannot run the CPU at the regular speed. i have to run it at 1300 to keep the machine from rebooting. like i said, the symptoms are exactly like it was overclocked, but it is not. i even took out the 3rd (new) stick of RAM to put the config back to exactly what it was, but still no. so, currently, i am running with 512 MB of RAM (one stick) at 1300 MHz for stability.

i need advice! what else might have gone wrong here? since i put everything back as it was, why can't i run at the normal speed? since the machine has been running so well, so long, i am truly sorry i even messed with it. murphy's law seems to get me every time. and, what's with this board not supporting these newer CPUs. its a 1.01 version and the newer CPUs are only supported by version 2.0 or higher.

any advice?

Last edited:
have you loaded the default settings for the mobo? Have you run memtest86 to make sure the new stick of memory is not bad, as well as perhaps for some reason, one of the two old sticks have gone bad?

i have not, but these are good ideas, i will try them.

Back