• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Machine Check Error' even ID 106 in Win2003

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tiesto

Hey Guys,

since if i have my new system, i now get WMIxWMD warnings in my event log of Windows Server 2003. Event ID 106.

"Machine Check Event reported is a corrected error."

nothing bad happens, just the error. Apparently, Event ID 107 is when some hardware fails, and 106 is when its a corrected error. And then looking into it more, i noticed this:

Machine Check Architecture
The AMD Athlon™ 64 processor and AMD Opteron™ processor machine check mechanism allows the processor to detect and report a variety of hardware (or machine) errors found when reading and writing data, probing, cache-line fills and writebacks. These include parity errors associated with caches and TLBs, ECC errors associated with caches and DRAM, as well as system bus errors associated with reading and writing to the external bus.

Software can enable the processor to report machine check errors through the machine check exception (See “#MC—Machine Check Exception” in AMD64 Architecture Programmer’s Manual, Volume 2: System Programming). Most machine checke xceptions do not allow reliable restarting of the interrupted programs. However, error conditions are logged in a set of model-specific registers (MSRs) that can be used by system software to determine the possible source of a hardware problem.

I get about 3 or 4 of these 106 errors a day, yet other than the message, system is stable. no rebooting, no BSOD, no freeze ups, no errors in benchmarking. anybody else running Athlon64 CPU on Win2003 getting this? and anybody know what might be causing it? bad memory? bad CPU or board? or perhaps not enough juice? (350W PSU - 12V line is holding good at 11.95, 5V is at 5.05, and 3.3V is a bit low at 3.05 to 3.1).

Back