• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a beginner!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfi

Disabled
i want to get into programing can you guys direct me to the right way by telling me which program is good to learn first, which ones i should learn later? I've heard basic is a good learning, and later learn c++. right?
Can you direct me to some good websites and books for the absulote beginners?
thx

Well congratulations on wanting to program! Unfortunatly, asking others what to learn first and what to learn later is going to give you some very diffrent answers. Some will say just learn C++. Others will say learn Visual Basic then move up. All I can do is give my opinion.

I'd say learn an easier language then move up. First I would recommend
Python or Visual Basic .NET. Python has some beginner stuff here and Visual Basic .NET resources are everywhere. Then when you think you have the hang of that move to something else. Don't forget every language has a purpose. Visual Basic is really designed for applications not games (though .NET has somewhat changed this). C++ can really do anything but it is much harder to learn and use.

Also if you are just beginning I would start off learning the .NET series when you move on. This includes C#. That seems to be where everything is headed for the Windows market anyway.

Also go get some beginner programming books. There are many of them and they are helpful references after you read them. Prepare to pay between $30 -$50 for each though. You can usually find them at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and Borders.

Good luck!

I'm in the suck it in and learn C++ camp. I don't really feel like making the argument again. This same topic has been hashed over a hundred times in this forum. Take a look. You will see a lot of different opinions, which is probally the best thing.

I am softening to VB.Net as it mixes ease of learning with object oriented programming and a powerful tool set.

I would say start with some simple procedural language like BASIC or COMAL and get used to the basics. Then try something like Java which isnt too difficult, then move on to C and C++.

Or start C++ from scratch.

First,thanks for all your help!
I think i will go with phyton and try VB. I don't mind learning easier languages first and later move onto the hardcore stuff. My girlfriend is a programmer she might be able to help out but she told me she doesnt program in windows she programs in a server or mainframe i dont know what that means. Anyway i will go to python.org and learn it.

For instance, what are the things i could do when i learn phyton and vb?

Thanx again!

BitTorrent is written in Python. Its a major peer-to-peer application that some have said it is responsible for 1/3 of the worlds internet traffic.

EMIII is a Folding@Home monitor and it is programed in VB.

dfi said:
First,thanks for all your help!
I think i will go with phyton and try VB. I don't mind learning easier languages first and later move onto the hardcore stuff. My girlfriend is a programmer she might be able to help out but she told me she doesnt program in windows she programs in a server or mainframe i dont know what that means. Anyway i will go to python.org and learn it.

For instance, what are the things i could do when i learn phyton and vb?

Thanx again!
With VB you can make quick and simple programs. It is really useful for calculator type programs.

Back