• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Thermal Compound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andy7t

Hi,

I've just got my new 64Bit CPU.

In my CPU cooler (not the standard AMD one), i got some thermal compound, but i already have a tube of some thermal compound.

A lot of people say it can make a huge difference to the temps if you use different compounds.
So which of these is best:

# 1 (with CPU cooler)

Arctic Cooling
50% Silicone
20% Carbon
30% Metal Oxide

Or

# 2 which is Silver in colouration, and has 10% silver.
It says:
Thermal Conductivity: >7.5W/m-k
Thermal Resistance : 0.06 C-in/w

i use to use artic cooling thermal paste it was ok but not best i now use arctic silver ceramique i applied it today and noticed decent drops in temps

arctic silver 5 all the way, man.

if you want really good temps then as5 is the right stuff. it's a bit spendy (at almost $15 per tube from newegg), but it gets the job done well and one tube will last you a long time. a tube comes with enough to do your northbridge, southbridge, CPU, and graphics processor several times over.

by the way, what kind of HSF is it that you're using the compound with?

im wondering is there any way to attach a northbridge/ southbridge without using a thermal epoxy say u wanna use as5 as u just said how would u do it like would u mix glue with the as5 or would u glue the corners of the hs?

thnx in advance

ripster

if you have no mounting holes on the nb, you would have to glue the corners...i haven't seen a huge difference between ceramique and as5....

what kinda glue woudl u use ive heard people sayin crazy glue is good but im in england and we cant get that here would maybe uve heard of loctite thats the superglue i got

If you are buying thermal paste, I recomend svc.com because of the free shipping. I recomend using Ceramique or Arctic silver 5, but of the 2 you listed, I dont know. Try them both and see for your self.

I used arctic alumina thermal adhesive and ripped the northbridge off of the mobo one day with a solid bump to the HSF I installed. Be careful....

Back