• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered new SLI rig!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mdogs444

Finally ordered my new rig so i can get rid of this CH w/ 1/2 L2 Cache disabled!

Asus AN8 nforce4 deluxe sli
athlon64 3500+
using existing 2x512 of Ballistix 3200 for now. May go plat rev 2 if need be.
OCZ 520w psu
74 gig wd raptor
2x asus 6600gt
xp-90

Does it look good? I hope it performs and OC's much better than my existing socket 754 setup did.

Looks not bad, hope you can get nice OC on it..maybe somewhat near 2.8ghz :)

using 2 6600 gt's what would that compare to in 1 video card?

2 6600 GT's are probably somewhere near 6800 ultra or x800 PE I'm not sure tho..I have no experience on SLI..but I do know you gain about 20% performance or somewhere near that

thegreek said:
A little better performace than a 6800 ultra

Don't know about all of you, but If I had to order a SLI motherboard, I would get 1 6800 (gt or ultra) and bought another one one year later when prices will drop. This would be about the same performance of 2X6600GT and less heat problem.

Just my opinion.

thegreek said:
A little better performace than a 6800 ultra

I thought 2 6600 GT's performed the same as a 6800 GT?

Also I would of gone with the 6800 GT from the start. I mean why spend all this money on SLI when you could of had the same performance for the same price with the 6800 GT and left room to upgrade down the road?

I just done believe in spending 400$ for 1 video card. Thats a rip off, i dont care what it does lol. For that price, it better do more than play games........im talking mow my lawn, go to work for me, and better yet....get me a beer every time mine is empty!

Ad Rock said:

Also I would of gone with the 6800 GT from the start. I mean why spend all this money on SLI when you could of had the same performance for the same price with the 6800 GT and left room to upgrade down the road?

Definatly.

Abseloutly no point in getting 2 x 6600gt's, complete waste.

Ad Rock said:

well it depends on what res and settings you play at, at high res and settings 2 6600gt's don't perform as well as 1 6800gt/ultra, as posted before i would also have went with 1 6800gt/ultra and get another later, i really don't see the point of getting 2 6600gts when you save a bundle by just getting a non-sli board and getting a 6800gt/ultra and get the same performance or better, to me sli is for when you want performance that no single card can achieve

Grov said:
Definatly.

Abseloutly no point in getting 2 x 6600gt's, complete waste.
Not exactally, all indications show that its faster than a 6800U at stock. Granted his OCing potential on 128bit RAM will be limited, but Im sure he can amass near 18k on 3d03. Which is still quite good

I have been debatting this for a while now and came to conclusion of one 6800gt/ultra now and one latter over dual 6600gt's as a higher res the 6600gt's arnt as fast as a 1 6800gt.

Nick59007 said:
i do have 2 agree that getting one v\c now and 1 later is the smarter way...........
I would agree as well, but to each his own. 6600s have hardware accelerated DVD playback. Something the NV40 doesnt

For me though, i dont really play many games besides Joint Ops, BHD, and doom 3. I just wanted something that was new, and wont have to upgrade for a while. By the time you would order a second 6800U, there would be something bigger and better out and time to upgrade again. Buying the absolut newest technology doesn nothing but burn a hole in your pocket. Its the bottomless pit.

Sentential said:
Not exactally, all indications show that its faster than a 6800U at stock. Granted his OCing potential on 128bit RAM will be limited, but Im sure he can amass near 18k on 3d03. Which is still quite good

There not though.

Go look at some benchies. 2 6600GT's, aren't as fast as a 6800Ultra, no way. Then there's the extra 128mb of ram.

1 6800GT is the way to go.

Back