• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need serious help: Mac OS 8.6, I.E. 5 and "Unidentified Security Certificates"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
I need serious help: Mac OS 8.6, I.E. 5 and "Unidentified Security Certificates"

System Specs:

A Generic Green G3 iMac, with OS 8.6 (No further OS update is possible with this machine's obolete hardware) installed, and Internet Explorer "5", the version made for all Macintosh Operating Systems older than OS X.

Problem: On many, many websites, including paypal, Internet Explorer will give an error message saying:

"Unable to establish a secure connection to 'www.paypal.com'. There is a problem with the security certificate for that site (The identity certificate is not yet valid.)"

Then, Internet Explorer will proceed to load half of the page, but not the entire thing.

So, let's say I want to log into my paypal account. The error message pops up, and paypal's site loads, but the part of the site where you type in your login information (inside a gold rectangle if anyone is familier with paypal's site) does not load, nor does most of the text content. There is no indication that anything is missing, just white space on the screen.

This happens consistantly on this machine, making it impossible to get into my paypal account, impossible to pay anyone with paypal, impossible to buy anything with paypal (paypal "shopping carts" only load partially), and impossible to use many websites with "security certificates" not recognized by this software.

Here's the clincher: Right now, this iMac is the only machine in the house which I can use that has internet access. My PC isn't hooked up to the internet, nor will it be anytime soon (don't ask). The rest of the computers in my house are also all Macintosh computers, and my parents will not let me use their respective (newer) Macs, because they're worried that I'm going to upgrade them, or overclock them, or something. My parents do not understand computers, and do not understand what I do (overclocking) to my computer; they are afraid of what they do not understand.

In short, I need to know how I can set up Internet Explorer to accept these Security Certificates, or not check them, or just get paypal to load properly.

This is all so frustrating that I am feeling both sick and dizzy. If I cannot find a way to get paypal to load properly on this iMac, I am seriously considering teaching it a lesson with a hatchet and some ketchup.

The person who figures out this problem gets my neverending gratitude.

LOL. Funny. Parents don't know PC's so they get Macs. Son doesn't know Macs so he gets PC. :D.

I haven't used macs in years (1999). Have you checked the system time? Maybe you are living in the past, and when it compares the dates of the certificates, it sees that they are valid only x years in the future, thus giving you the "not yet valid" error.

If that doesn't work, may I suggest dumping IE for Mozilla... It might help.

I would suggest using Mozilla as well, but first, let's go ahead and see if we can take care of your IE. If it's not your date & time, go to edit > preferences > security zones section. Make sure it's set to medium. If it is, set it to custom and view the custom settings. You should be able to change the way IE handles certificates.

Thanks guys, I'll try these things out and report back. Do you have a link to Mozilla for OS 8.6?

I'd drop Internet Explorer in a heartbeat if I only knew how, and knew hat the good alternatives where (OS 8.6 has some software availability limitations) :(

LOL. Funny. Parents don't know PC's so they get Macs. Son doesn't know Macs so he gets PC. .

Oh, I know Macs ;).

Which is why I don't personally use one :D.

Thanks diggingforgold - downloading now.

The time/date was set correctly, and adjusting the security features in I.E. didn't work. Hopefully Mozilla will solve my problems once and for all.

EDIT: My dad just gave me the discs for our family's Mac OS X Panther, he tells me that it should work fine on this machine.......... cross your fingers for me guys ;)

os8.6?

first off, panther wont work on it. G3s are unsupported except the blues. i have a beige running jaguar.

You can get os9.2.2 , its really not THAT bad.

Back