• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8N Neo Problem - URGENT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fex

I have just put together my AMD 3200+ and MSI K8n Neo Platinum Mobo, after everything is fitted, I power it up. Nothing appears on the screen and the D-bracket has one green light which is the bottom left which is the state of "initializing keyboard controller". The motherboard beeps like *beeep* wait *beeep* wait *beeep* wait. etc till the power is cut.

Please does anyone know how to solve this? Or what may be the problem!

Thanks In Advance
Kristian

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and the sickness :eek:

First of all, for your future reference you ought to look at the POST signals in your mobo's manual if somthing similar happens againg so that you dont get a heart attack.

What you are experiencing is a well documented issue with the K8N. On older boards they arent shipped with v1.3 BIOS which officially support the Winchester core....YOUR cpu.

That "beeping" if you look in your manual, is actually "no RAM installed" siren. Its a well documented issue with the Winchester core. Infact it happened to me.

All you need to do, is simply remove one stick of RAM from your machine and boot on a single stick. Without v1.3 or greater on the BIOS your motherboard will not post in dual-channel on the winchester core....THAT is why you are getting the "no RAM installed" siren.

As soon as you boot with single channel, ie one stick. It will function normally. Simply install windows and all that nonsense with a single stick and when you get the earilest opportunity update your BIOS via the interent to the latest version, which I believe is 1.5.

Once you have the updated BIOS install the other stick of RAM and it will function normally without the siren. Its as simple as that :D

Sentential said:
All you need to do, is simply remove one stick of RAM from your machine and boot on a single stick. Without v1.3 or greater on the BIOS your motherboard will not post in dual-channel on the winchester core....

Let's not forget it's possible to run in single channel using TWO sticks - they just have to be on the same channel. For example if you have 2x256MB I wouldn't use just one of the sticks.

Miguita said:
Let's not forget it's possible to run in single channel using TWO sticks - they just have to be on the same channel. For example if you have 2x256MB I wouldn't use just one of the sticks.
I have a reason to my methods. You are right in that assumption but more than 1 dimm in any config causes massive stabilty issues on old BIOS. He's likely to corrupt his OS if he does that. Friend-o-mine did just that and had to reformat

Sentential said:
I have a reason to my methods. You are right in that assumption but more than 1 dimm in any config causes massive stabilty issues on old BIOS. He's likely to corrupt his OS if he does that. Friend-o-mine did just that and had to reformat

Sorry, and thanks for correcting me.

Miguita said:
Sorry, and thanks for correcting me.
Not a problem at'tall :D There is no possibly way for you to know that unless you had the board yourself. A64s are awefulyl touchy when it comes to RAM.

Bleh...setting up my new neo2 and winchester I had this problem. The little dlink lights said ram problem so I pulled out a stick and rebooted fine....then for whatever reason I thought I would set the ram latencies to match my spec on ram (Kingston HyperX pc3200) and it failed to reboot after saving changes....

Now I just keep getting the failed ram dlink msg no matter what ram i stick in there - should i clear the cmos?

(Im pretty sure board came with bios 1.4)

Well cleared cmos, but my ram would not post - tried dual channel in 1&2, single channel in 1&3.

Just tried running single channel 1 stick in dimm1 again and it runs fine now. All ram settings are auto now, aggressive timing off. Got xp and all devices installed...now to go back and figure out how to get it to run my dual channel!

I guess I should try manually setting ram to 2-3-2-6 and 2.6v as its listed on kingston's website. If that doesn't work?

erasmus372 said:
Well cleared cmos, but my ram would not post - tried dual channel in 1&2, single channel in 1&3.

Just tried running single channel 1 stick in dimm1 again and it runs fine now. All ram settings are auto now, aggressive timing off. Got xp and all devices installed...now to go back and figure out how to get it to run my dual channel!

I guess I should try manually setting ram to 2-3-2-6 and 2.6v as its listed on kingston's website. If that doesn't work?
Keep them at auto until you get your BIOS flashed

Sentential said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and the sickness :eek:

First of all, for your future reference you ought to look at the POST signals in your mobo's manual if somthing similar happens againg so that you dont get a heart attack.

What you are experiencing is a well documented issue with the K8N. On older boards they arent shipped with v1.3 BIOS which officially support the Winchester core....YOUR cpu.

That "beeping" if you look in your manual, is actually "no RAM installed" siren. Its a well documented issue with the Winchester core. Infact it happened to me.

All you need to do, is simply remove one stick of RAM from your machine and boot on a single stick. Without v1.3 or greater on the BIOS your motherboard will not post in dual-channel on the winchester core....THAT is why you are getting the "no RAM installed" siren.

As soon as you boot with single channel, ie one stick. It will function normally. Simply install windows and all that nonsense with a single stick and when you get the earilest opportunity update your BIOS via the interent to the latest version, which I believe is 1.5.

Once you have the updated BIOS install the other stick of RAM and it will function normally without the siren. Its as simple as that :D

I've the same problem but with only one stick!
I've tried with kingston, corsair, no brand ram but there's nothing to do, I've also tried all the slots with no results.
Help!!

Thanks
Paul

Back