• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing Memory for DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Halen5150

Registered
Hi, I'm new here, and I just bought a DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250gb and I'm having a hard time choosing ram for it. I want a gig of PC3200. Since socket 754 cannot run dual channel, is it better to buy 1 stick of 1024 or 2 x 512? I need something that runs quick at stock speeds, but also yields a good overclock. I'm new to overclocking, so I have no idea what latency or other timings I'm looking for. The most I want to spend is $200. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with PQI memory on this mobo? I was thinking of this
or this.
Any help is appreciated.

I'm sure you'd be happy w/ stock settings w/ both those choice from PQI.
However, I must HIGHLY RECOMMEND this from PQI . It's more $$, but well worth it for overclocking.
That ram has been well noted for its performance (thread here at OCforums )

That ram or any w/ Samung TCCD chips (listings ) would work great. Some people are swearing by G.Skill--I've not tried 'em. (helpful review)

I've better luck w/ my PQI w/ TCCD chips than the OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 I was heavily tempted by:
As we completed testing of OCZ 4000 Gold Rev. 2, we were told by OCZ that yields were so good with the new Hynix memory chips, they had decided to use the same memory chips in their new 3700 Gold Rev. 3. This means that the current 3700 Gold Rev. 3 and the 4000 Gold Rev. 2 are the exact same DIMMs for the time being. This could always change in the future,

Also, I've found Anandtech's memory reviews to be helpful.

Helpful hint: the lower memory timings (like 2-2-2-5) means it's better Ram for overclocking.

But again, w/ my DFI Nf3 -- my PQI3200-1024DBU TOTALLY ROCKS!

Awesome! Thanks, that helps a lot. So it would be better to use 2 x 512 than 1 x 1024? There's a way better selection of 2 x 512. Thanks for the welcome!

OK, I'm really leaning towards Corsair, but I'm having some trouble finding the ones that are TCCD. Here's what I'm looking for:

XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.2 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD & TCC5

Could someone point out to me which ones these are? I've tried to figure it out by looking at the model numbers, but I don't see the revision number anywhere. Here's the newegg link if someone could point them out for me:

Corsair XMS

Sorry I didn't answer your full question. Yes, I'd go w/ 2x512 rather than a single 1Gb stick--they're generally cheaper and work better if you do get a dual channel setup later and I think you'll be hard pressed to find some good low latencies in a 1Gb stick w/out paying a hefty price.

As to the Corsair and other companies w/ TCCD based ram read the articles at AnandTech, like this one or this one

But the problem is that you'll be spending lots more than your desired $200 for some of those Ram's. That's why I went w/ the PQI stix and my friend went w/ these by Patriot, which I'd bet are the same as these

As for your link to Newegg, it doesn't work. :(

I'd jus make sure to get TCCD with Brainpower PCB's then ull be flying . also dont use all your mem banks . you want to keep the amount of sticks to mange at a minimum

Thanks for the help, everyone. As for the newegg link, it was past 3:30 am when I typed that, so I was probably half asleep. It looks like the good ram is priced beyond my budget. I might just get these or these.

Well, I decided to spend a little more and get some good ram. I got the PDP Patriot XBL PC3200 (512 x 2). Can't say I've heard of this brand before about a week ago, but they've gotten some good reviews and the price was right. I plan on running them at stock speeds until I learn more about overclocking. Thanks again for the help.

Back