• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update Solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Summit

I'm about to reformat my hard drive again (its about that time of year) and I remember reading something in the Maximum PC issue that came out 2 months ago about a program that lets you compile all of the windows updates onto CD so you don't have to re-download all of them over again. The only thing is, I left it at home (im at school), and I can't remember anythihng about the program, specifically the name of it, other than the fact that it is freeware.

It doesn't have to be the one from MaxPC either, if anyone knows a better way to do this I'm open for suggestions. I just hate to spent hours and hours downloading and re-downloading all of the windows updates that have been released since I got my Windows CD years ago.

Thanks!

I believe you are talking about slipstreaming SP2 with your Windows XP installation CD. They had an article a couple months ago in Maximum PC about how to do it, but a member of your forums has written a guide that is a lot easier and works wonderfully. Follow his directions and it will create an .ISO file that you can just burn straight to a CD.

Here is the thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=325065

I can personally vouch for RedDeathDrinker's method in the above link. I just found this thread, went to that thread, followed the instructions, and (not counting the time it took to download SP2) was done in about 5 minutes. Tried booting to the disk and it worked like a dream.

DWolf:cool:

Yeap... slipstreamed XP with SP2 is awesome...
I believe that most people that have had problems with SP2 would do fine if they formatted and reinstalled with a fresh slipstreamed copy...

Back