• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is are Newcastle CG chips any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

annoncompgeek

Registered
i got a 939 newcastle 3400+ for christmas and i was wondering how high people with similar chips were able to push them. Its either a week 36 or 39 and its a cg stepping chip. Should i keep it or try to sell it to pick up a 3000+ winchester?

annoncompgeek said:
i got a 939 newcastle 3400+ for christmas and i was wondering how high people with similar chips were able to push them. Its either a week 36 or 39 and its a cg stepping chip. Should i keep it or try to sell it to pick up a 3000+ winchester?

Sell it for a 3200+ 90nm chip. As long as you get a newer week, you'll be in good hands.

deception``

you might as well test it, i hear lots of accounts of winchesters giving a range of overclockability, ranging more than newcastles i seen. My 754 3200+ newcastle is 24/7 prime stable at 2.6g 1.6vcore, where as some 3200+ winchesters go to 2.7 air on low volts (havnt seen higher than 2.7 on air), but with some only reaching 2.5 or lower

Ive had it at 2475 stable at stock voltage but more vcore doesnt help as my psu is only a 400 watt and the system wont boot into windows at anything over that speed no matter. its either the cpu or the psu bc the motherboard runs 300 htt no sweat if i drop the multiplier. The temp is at 47 celcius folding @ 2475 so i suspect the psu is weak. I'm trying to avoid buying a winchester until they fix the mem controller isssues but if im giving up a crapload of mhz then id make the switch.

Back