• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Duct! Cooling Solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnmcc516

Check my profile for system specs. All speeds are running at stock. I used PVC pipe and created a duct for my CPU. My before duct idle temps was between 35C-37C depending on the ambient. My Load was between 47C-51C also depending on the ambient. After the duct, my idle temps are between 29C-31C and my load temps (prime 95) are up to 42C. I am stoked that it worked so well!

how about some pics? :clap:

i was actually thinking of doing some ducting myself, with acrylic plastic

I don't have a digital camera :( But I can get a friend to let me borrow and I will post some pics for all to see.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! Ven0m said the 'I' word! i'm gonna tell!

but seriously...intel is gross...

/offtopic

I'm all with AMD, but in fact intel has great influence on current computers.
Check Thermally Advantaged Chassis 1.1 formfactors by intel. It's good that they officially say that they want ducts for CPU ang good air intake for graphics card.

I've also read a bit of BTX specificiations today and it seems that they will improve CPU cooling, by better air paths + allowed using of really huge heatsinks mounted to case, or should I say Thermal Modules.

//a small edit//
I like to read standarization documents to get first hand data. That's why I'd like to somehow encourage you to read them too and to promote reading of formfactors. They give pretty much knowledge about systems, what you can mod, how and what to buy. They can tell you what aspects of hardware are important. Of course these are rather for mainstream, but they can help overclockers / modders a lot (for example they helped me with decision about PSU to buy). So here are some pages that you might find useful:
http://www.formfactors.org
http://www.amd.com
http://www.intel.com

There are more interestingpages, but these seem to be the most useful. I especially suggest reading of the first before buying PSU or case, if you're not certain about it.

Last edited:
cool
I have never seen that document before. However, my duct meets most of that criteria farely well so I did a pretty good job I think. :)

Im thinking of getting a duct

Can you buy them or do ya have to make them?

Make em. I found a piece of PVC pipe that fit the dimensions. Drill a hole, and mount the pvc. Check www.overclockers.com There were a few guides. I did mine very similar to the guides on the website.

Making duct is pretty easy. You can get alredy ducted cases too. They name them "Thermally advantaged chasis" or something like that.

i wonder which of these is better
1 seperate ducts for graphics card and cpu
2 1 big fan that ducts to both through a fork in the pipe (with 1 smaller fan for general case cooling
these are intakes

my duct experiment

i have been working on a duct system for my first build.at this point it is only a cardboard form(this will be my template for the real duct, materiel to be determined later)system specs.asus p4p800mx(nice board for a first timer)a p4 willy1.8 currently ocd to 2153.86,512 meg of pc 2700 ddr ram,pny verto 5500 pci,thermal take cooling for both cpu & chipset,with a no name case psu.i also put a fan from a socket 370 to cool my hard drive.all components are not choice but if i blow something it will not be a great loss.here is a picture.what do you guys think(i know it looks cheesy but it works.)the duct supplies the graphics card with its own intake & exhaust.everything is still experimental stage,but so far has dropped my temps by about 5c overall.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 274
hmmm, i might try that, but since i have a window it would need to be tidyer.

btw, it must suck not having agp on that thing

I did what eystan did (only with a fan to flow air from the back of the card to the back of the case to cool the card) & it kept my GPU very cool but killed my airflow which wasn't good for my ambient temps.

we want pix !!!!, lol, i got a premade duct in my antec case, i do however need one for my raidmax, so post them up and let see. i was gonna do this one duct but i still haven't figured out how to fit the duct to the zalman heatsink.

warlock, what model of zalman do you have? in many cases it's good to have a gap of 1~2cm from the end of the duct to the hsf

i figure i will use some bienfang foam board to build the duct,it should also insulate what little heat there is coming off the ductwork,am also working on a duct for cpu and will post pictures of everything when done.and btw it does suck not having agp.i have another mboard (a soyo) for my next build that has all the bells and whistles.i will probably put a small slant wall like this \ between gcard duct and front of computer to better direct airflow upwards.just remember if a man does not keep pace with his companions perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer,let him march to the music he hears however measured or far away. later dudes gotta go be a wage slave ttfn....

Back