• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Dremel in situ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lastleg

Registered
I'd like to cut out the metal "cheese-grate" from around my intake and exhaust fans as has been suggested to improve airflow. Can this be done (carefully) without emptying everything out of the case? Perhaps by putting duct tape on the inside first? Any other suggestions?

that sounds very risky.

that said, one suggestion I have heard is to set up magnets in the cutting area to catch fragments. that assumes the case is stamped out of steel or some other magnetic metal.

Or, use tin snips, which don't throw metal dust and fragments around.

If gonna use Dremel, definatly take out all the good stuff... The dust goes everywhere... EVERYWHERE. [/end convo]

Take EVERYTHING out. I cut out the grills on my new case, and used a shop vac to sweep up all the dust that I could find, and yet some more dust just fell onto the top of my dvd burner a few days after installing it.

why risk it? be safe and strip the case- then you can do any other mods / paint at that time.

You can do it if you have very strong bolt or wire cutters. I did it without trimming the edges and made no mess. It improved my airflow tremendously. You gotta be careful with the edges however.

I'm convinced. I guess it'll be a leaning experience too, right?... *right???* lol

Next diy - home brain surgery! :eek: :eek:

I did cut 2x 80mm blowhole on top of my case without emptying my case and it works, I just covered my MOBO with cloth and tape a plastic loose enough not to be hit by the blade of my dremmel, just make sure everything is covered with plastic or cloth and you wont have any problem. :cool:

even the nibblers have left metal splinters in my case. i'd remove everything. if you make even the smallest mistake and power up a part that has metal shavings on it you're probably going to be out a part.

I guess I just take risks. But I use tin snips which only make little metal shards. For that I tape one of those antistatic bags from mobos around the area, so if a shard does happen to fly towards the mobo it'll get caught by the antistatic bag that I can roll up and empty afterwards.

dremel tho... that'll be dusty which you don't want.

Empty your case, it takes maybe 30 minutes to completely reassemble it, would you pay $150 for 30 minutes worth of work?

Back