• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my Leadtek 6600GT. Question about Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clean_Baldy

I just got my 6600GT yesterday, and have been fiddling with it for a day now.

I installed the WinFox software that came with it, to overclock.

The question:

In the overclocking menu, what is the difference between the 2D and 3D overclock. Which setting do I write out as my overclocked numbers for reference in my Sig? Right now, I'm using my 3D overclock... but, on all of the 3DMark programs, it displays the 2D.

It's just confusing, and I'd like clarification as to which number I should concentrate on my OCing, to fully get the testing out of the card.

My gut feeling says 3D, but the next question is... what does the 2D overclock do that the 3D doesn't??

the 2d is for when you're in windows pretty much. you don't need raw power to display email or the internet. i'm not familiar with the software that you're using, but in the display properties, when you use coolbits or rivatuner, you can see you freq's and they also are seperated into 2d and 3d settings. since you overclock to get better 3D performance, you probably will want to "advertise" those. no one needs a $500.00 vid card to surf the net right? you could just set them both to the 3d frequency...:D

alinosa said:
the 2d is for when you're in windows pretty much. you don't need raw power to display email or the internet.
Im afraid its not that exactally. 2D scales the GPU fan speed to 60% or so while 3D keeps the fan speed much higher (80-100%). This is what it truly controls.

However you are correct with the 2D / 3D issue. However it only refers to the fanspeed per app

i knew there was more to it... thanks for clearing that up.

on a side note: is there any way to keep the fan at 100% all the time?

alinosa said:
i knew there was more to it... thanks for clearing that up.

on a side note: is there any way to keep the fan at 100% all the time?
Not really. Eventho there is a option for "fan always on" thats only for OTES modles who actually shut the fan off occasionally.

The only way to force it to 100% is to use eXpertool by gainward which will allow you to manually change the fan settings. Its available on their website and works on all 6XXX modles.

Forgot to add that 2D and 3D often change the vcore. For example 2D on my 6800GT = 1.2v and 3D = 1.3v. It has everything to do with the thermal-throttleing that is present on all 6XXX cards since they can change volts on the fly.

If you modify your BIOS you can change these values to whatever you please:clap:

Back