• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64/PCI-E worth it right now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slaya

Hey, I am considering upgrading my system to an Athlon 64 processor with a motherboard supporting PCI-E, I haven't been following up on what's good lately so i'm not sure if this upgrade is evan worth it. I've been hearing a few things about it not being "stable" yet, and it would be better to just wait a while before making this upgrade. What do you guys think?

Not sure who has said that. They have worked most of the issues out with the new A03 silicon on the NForce4. It should work just fine and being able to have such a future-proof system will benefit you in the long run.

Hold off on that pci board. some bugs still are there. Over all not much more performance has been noted at this time. Not enough pci things rolling yet.

Maxx 2.6 said:
Hold off on that pci board. some bugs still are there. Over all not much more performance has been noted at this time. Not enough pci things rolling yet.
He would be buying a new gfx card so I can see a good reason to move to the new platform. Sure every board has its bugs, you think Nforce3 is any better!?!?!:D LOL

There will always be bugs, the NF2 platform was released 2+ years ago, it still ahs an issue with bios corruption. The question to ask in my opinion is do you have an up to date v-card. If its older than a 9800 series for ati or 6800 series for nv then go pci xpress if u have a 9800 or higher then stick to nforce 3 till newer crads come out. The nf4's still use skt 939 so the chip doesn;t have to be upgraded. I have an 6800 lim ed that clocks @ 450/1250 so there is no reason for me to go pci xpress other than sli which would cost me an addt'l 1k so I'll pass. the real answer is it depends on your situation. U have an outdated vid card so pci xprs would be your best upgrade path.

I currently have a MX 440 64 MB, and I can't play any of my games I want too (CS:S I get like 17 FPS in action..) I figured if I am going to spend the extra money to buy a new video card why not get the PCI-E version of that card, it's evan cheaper than the AGP. I would also gain the money from my current mobo/cpu which I will first sell and then add a few bucks to that and get a A64 mobo/cpu. I'm still not 100% sure if it's worth it or not? should I just stick with what I have and get the 6600GT AGP evan though its like 30 bucks more than the PCI-E version?

Anyone else have an opinion on this, if I do go A64, I am planning on getting that DFI board that will be out shortly and a 3000+ winchester OEM. Which should be about $280

The only current advantage of PCI-E is SLI, and developments in the PC industry are too unpredictable for me to judge how much of an edge that really is.

I just upgraded to 64/pci-e and I think it was worth it. the pci-e is just a little bit more time that your motherboard will stay obsolete-proof. if there is such a thing in the pc world. lol.

Hey, I am in the same boat. I didn't know whether to get a 6600gt agp and keep my current xp-m system or go to pcie and a64. I ended up deciding to go to a64 + pcie but what really made me decide is that fact that I got in on that deal at shop.ati.com to pre-order the x800xl for 221 shipped. So, now until the card is released etc. I am waiting for the new nf4 boards to come out and maybe the winnies to get a few dollars cheaper.

Back