• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G Random Power Off/Restart

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjjh17

I saw this forum earlier http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-336641.html and for some reason the abit forum website is down and I desperately need help. All I understand from that forum is that I possibly need to RMA my darn ABIT motherboard.

System:
IC7-G Abit MAXII
Coolmax 400 Watt PSU
P4 3.2 Prescott
Leadtek A350 GeForce FX Ultra 5900 (256mb/256bit)
2x 512 Corsair DDR3200 DIMMS
2x Western Digital 36gb SATA RAID 10000rpm
NEC 1300a DVD+-rw
Memorex 52x CDRW

Problem:
I carefully installed all the hardware, upgraded BIOS to 28, formatted my RAID partition NTFS and installed windows XP pro, etc. Then it powered down off when installing drivers, software, browsing folders, etc. The motherboard power led remained on, indicating power, but when I hit the power or reset button, nothing happens. I have to switch the PSU off, wait for the capacitors to drain, then switch it back on and she'll run again...for an indefinate amount of time. I thought maybe it is just windows, so I tried the knoppix linux boot disk and it would power off after initializing all configs and attempting to boot into knoppix, however later for some reason it would boot all the way but at some point would again power off or in rare cases restart just be performing routine actions. The interesting thing is that the user (me) causes the power off by either a click of a mouse button or keyboard button. Never consistent, and NEVER happens while the OS is running idle (no active processes). I thought maybe it was bad memory, so I unplugged 1 dimm and ran off 1 dimm and used memtest to test each individual dimm, but no problems detected after 30min of testing each dimm. I even tried an older DDR2100 dimm, and still it would randomly shut off. Sometimes it only takes 30 sec of browsing, etc, sometimes 3 hrs. I only have norton and windows installed right now, nothing graphic intensive yet... I also have disabled as many features in BIOS I do not need, including the firewire, silicon raid, etc and also tried BIOS with default settings (plus sata raid set). But, still very random results. Lastly, I disconnected all and I mean ALL fans, devices, hardrives, cdroms, etc except for the essentials, thinking that maybe it is a power overload with a bad PSU, however same results.

Is it still possible that I have a bad PSU, or should I just go ahead and attempt an RMA on the motherboard? Has anyone else encountered this problem and fixed it yet?

Any help is grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

First you could try and see if you can borrow a PSU from someone and see if it helps.
If it works better with something else, try RMA it in case you got a bad one .Still the same problem, replace it with another brand.

A 400W should be sufficient but diffrent manufacturers use diffrent methods to
rate their PSUs.

Back