• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI NooB...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

screwtech02

Hey all, i've had nvidia cards for the past 5 years, got a new pci-e mobo, and have a Asus X700pro card on the way. Is the 700 series the same basic build as the 800, i.e., unlocking pipes, bios flashing, ect??? I would like to see if i can enable the other pipes, i think its equiped with 8, but maybe will open up to 12-16?? Like i said, i havent a clue to this Ati stuff, so any help would be appreciated.... Also, are the 800-700 series the same pcb layout? If so, koolance has a sweet liquid cooler for em.... :confused:

Soooo, am i in the wrong forums to ask these type of questions?? Over 40 views, and still no clues, or directions to go?? :confused:

Give it some time...

X700pro is the same architecture as X800, but a different core (built on a different process - 110nm). There are only eight pipelines.

A cooler that fits on a 9800pro _should_ fit on a X700pro. An ATi Silencer 1 will fit, not sure about Koolance.

Only a few apps will o/c the X700pro so far, this being one of them: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=356799

Please forgive another "NooB" question. I have been reading up on the ATI tool program, is it kinda like Rivatuner??? i.e, ability to unlock pipes, overclock, ect, or do the x series cards have to be bios-flashed to unlock other onboard pipes?? :confused:

As JCLW said, there are no additional pipes to open on a X700. The RV410 (X700) core is not simply a version of the R420 (X800) with some pipelines disabled, the pipelines aren't there.

ATI tool is a primarily a overclocking utility. As far as I know it does not do soft-mods to unlock disabled pipelines.

Back