• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios memory settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marcus Marti

Registered
Hi everyone, I've just switched boards.
I had a faulty Abit AV8 and now I have a Asus A8V (rev.2).
Problem is I've lost a few fps in Aqm. and I think it's because of the memory timing setting in Bios.
With the Abit I set memory by SPD but the Asus has different settings, my question is could someone please help me with all those settings to get my performance back?
specs.
AMD64 3500 Newcastle Thermalright XP120
Asus A8V deluxe (rev.2)
Asus AX800XT PE
Corsair XMS3200XL 2#512
WD Raptor
OCZ Powerstream 520

Any help/and or advice would be highly appreciated!

Marc

First thing you should do is disable 2T. Using 1T generally gives a 15% bandwidth boost. For the actual timings, usually setting them to auto will give the default timings for your RAM, compare your RAM specs with those reported by CPU-Z. If auto sets timings too loose, set it manually in BIOS.

describe 'a few fps' please? May well be inaccuracy of measurement and/or due to the other motherboard. Also, posting your current timings along with the spd ratings might help.

Leave the other settings on auto and set your timings to the ratings for your RAM. The 4 timing settings are CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS in that order. My RAM for example is capable of doing CAS=2, TRCD=2, TRP=2, TRAS=5, it all depends on the RAM though, look yours up if you don’t know the ratings and set the BIOS accordingly.

Also Bank Interleaving should be enabled if you are running dual channel. See Super Nade's guide
Link

First off all thanks everyone who responded!

My current settings are 2-2-2-5, with 2T disabled.
On the Abit I had an Aquamark score of 73500and now with the Asus I barely get 67000.
Since the two boards use the same chipset I didn't expect a performance drop.
I also ran 3dMark 05 and there the score is just about the same (6100).
Also I read Super Nade's guide and set everything accordingly.
I thought maybe there was a setting in Bios I missed or something like that.
Again thanks for your help and fast replies!

Btw I ran Aquamark several times and the results pretty much the same.
My RAM is rated 2-2-2-5 according to Ram guy over at Corsair.
Anyone who knows what I should do?
thanks in advance,

Marc

Ok, I've narrowed it down to the settings I don't know about.
# Bank interleaving
# node interleaving
# TRFC
# TRWT
#TWCL
# AsyncLat
# Read Preamble setting

Anyone know what these are for and what settings I should use?
Thanks,

Marc

Super Nade, thanks very much for the warm welcome, its greatly appreciated!
I saw you floating around and was hoping you would post......
I'll check out the link you provided and then post again.

Thanks,

Marc

just a thought: did you lose the aquamarks in the CPU section or the GPU section? You may have lost an overclock on the VGA as well due to the reinstall you probably did?

DaButcha76, the cpu score has dropped below the 10000 mark, about a thousand points lower.
Gpu score is also a bit lower but not much.
I also ran 3dMark5 and here the score is the same as on the Abit board, so therefore I thought it probably was the memory or at least cpu related.

Marc

okay, I'll have to speculate on this, but does the abit do some overclocking by default? I find it rather hard to imagine such a rather large drop on the same chipset. Also, the a8v seems to prefer a higher memory clock over those tight timings you seem to be running at.

DaButcha76,

Thanks for your response, the Abit does overclock slightly (204) but I've set it on the Asus also.
You do have to spell the memory thing out for me as I'm new to all this.
I have set the memory timings according to spd.
Please let me know what I have to adjust.

Also every once in a while I get a "Overclocking Failed" message but I've done no overclocking.
This leads me further to believe not all Bios settings are correct.
Any further advice would be highly appreciated!!!!

Marc

Haven't got a dig. camera but I'll give the screens:

AMD Athlon64 3500 Newcastle Brand id 4
Voltage 1.552
Core speed 2244
Multiplier 11
HTT 204.0

DDR SDRAM Dual 1024
Freq. 204
fsb:dram CPU/11.0
cas 2.0
ras to cas 2
ras precharge 2
tras 6
trc 8
dram idle timer 16

Hope this helpes.

hmm - settings look just fine. I'd aim for an overclock with looser timings if I were you (yields better net performance), but I don't have a clue why you lose some score in AM :)

if you're looking to improve fps in games, overclock your videocard ;)

Apart from that, Super Nade has a great a8v overclocking sticky - basically, you up the timings and up the memory speed simultaneously. What speeds and timings you should be on, depends on a lot of factors - so one (long) way to find out really :) I spent 2 weeks on and off to get to where I am now, rockstable and a nice o/c. Good luck :)

Back