• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plextor PX-716SA SATA DVDRW? Anyone tried it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just got mine the other day. I haven't tried burning dvds yet, but cd-r discs work just fine. It's a lot more quiet than the Ricoh cd-r/dvd combo I've been using for the past two years or so. All the drives on my system are now sata.

i think it is , or was considerably overpriced - considering the only limitation to DVD burners going above 16x is the speed of the HD's.

would have been better off with a nec 3500.

Mr.Guvernment said:
i think it is , or was considerably overpriced - considering the only limitation to DVD burners going above 16x is the speed of the HD's.

would have been better off with a nec 3500.

does the NEC have a 8MB buffer and SATA? No

Some people would like the clean look of SATA and as far as I know Plextor is the only one providing a 8 MB buffer currently on Newegg.

I love mine. The performance is incredible. The only drawback is the price, but I mangaed to find an extremely good deal on mine, so I can't complain.

thegreek said:
does the NEC have a 8MB buffer and SATA? No

What is the advantage of 8MB buffer between these two drives? I mean, other than that its there... I have not seen where this comes into play.

SATA is definetly nice though, cleaner inside the case.

Overall anyways, I think in some people's opinion SATA and an 8MB buffer does not make it a better buy necessarily. Down the road who knows though... This plextor might be burning away 8 years from now and the NEC's might stop failing sooner. Plextors have a good history of reliability, and perhaps that is worth the higher cost to some.

The NEC is basically inarguably the best entry point for the masses as its a great DL drive and dead cheap, but there are always other things to consider also when you get a drive.

SATA is a gerat feature but to pay an additional $50 for it?

and the 8mb buffer - is it needed? does it help that much?

right now DVD drives can not burn any faster then 16x since harddrive can not provide inforamtion any faster.

Plextor is a great company and i usually always bought their burners - until i found there were cheaper just as good alternatives out there.

i just dont see paying $50 more for SATA and 6mb more buffer that i have not seen gives any real performance boost over a 2mb cache drive...

I've had a 2mb and a 8mb cache drive over the years of playing. And there is no true benifit from the extra 6mb. I mean at today's speeds that we burn whats the extra 6mb's going to save you from? A 1/2 second slow down on the drive?

Only benifit I see is that its SATA. I love SATA personally and have the plextor 8x burner (when it was first released) and love that drive. Plextor is a name brand and you pay for it, but paying for it you know it will last for years. My dad's got an old 1x or 2x Plextor CD burner and it still works after all these years.

It also should be noted that plextor drives usally have a few key features that most people don't recognize.

In particular I've found that power rec is a life saver. I've burned dvd's with other brand drives and they havent worked on my dvd player(its teh most fussy player i've ever seen), but I tweaked the power rec setting on my plextor and the dvds i've burned with it work fine.

And like its been said, you pay for quality and reliability.

Prodigious said:
I love mine. The performance is incredible. The only drawback is the price, but I mangaed to find an extremely good deal on mine, so I can't complain.

just curious, what did you pay for it? I got mine for around $140 or so.

I figured I would buy a good DVD burner as I burn a lot of music CDs on cheap disks, and I will start burning a good number of DVDs on equally cheap disks when I get my comp working and my mobo back from RMA. my previous burner was a free (after rebates) mad dog 52x drive, and CDs would stop playing on my old school (no mp3 support ;) ) boombox after not too long (though this was probably b/c of the free (after rebates :D ) cds I was burning them on).

With brand names, you not only get reliability but also support and compatibility. I remember CloneCD crashing my comp b/c my drive wasn't supported.

I paid $70. Like I said, I got an amazing deal on it(it was a wierd twist of events where I got some store credit because the site messed up on a previous order, plus there was a rebate at the time).

Back