• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trim

I recently purchased a (visiontek)geforce 2 MX 32meg agp card for my new pc and I noticed there is no heatsink or cooling fan on the card. My question is do I need to add one? I haven't tested it yet to see how hot it gets and was courious as before i put this thing together.

If I do need to add one what to you use to attach the heatsink to the processor chip?

In closing If I do add one (forgive my ignorance) can I just use a standard 486 heatsink/fan like we use to do or is there a "kit" for this.

about 2 years ago I picked up a creative riva tnt card 16 meg (back when they was the bomb) and it didn't have a fan and I just used a 486fan on it but the heatsink was already attached. on this card there is no heatsink.:rolleyes:

if it didn't come stock with one it's probably not essential to have one at stock speeds. But if I were in your place I'd probably get something to put on it. I have a blorb (blue orb, from Tt) on my card...your 486 hsf would be better than nothing though.

If you don´t push it too far, the 486 Hsf should be ok.
You could design some kind of Clip to make use of the hoes in the Pcb if there are any..
If not, You could applie AS II in the middle of the Chip, and add a very small drop of superglue on each corner of the chip. then put some weight on it and let it dry, it should work fine.

Back