• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant boot to bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman2k30

Registered
my computer was being overwelmed with popups so i decided to reinstall windows xp mce 2005 where it did the initial setup but when it rebboted it would go no further. so i reset the cmos as it said in the manual hoping that it was a mobo error and no i cant reboot back into the bios. have you guys got any ideas?

Does it POST and just not go into bios, or do you just get a black screen?

If you reset using the jumper you need to make sure it is in the correct position before powering back on. Ensure you didn't loosen any connections or anything while you were in there - I would recommend remaking all connections.

Wait, you need to be more specific... On my PC, the SATA and fasttrack bios's POST after my mobo bios POSTS.

Does it tell you to press del to enter bios settings or no?

i get a big black screen then via tech sata raid controller then fastrack then beep then big black screen then nothing else

Not sure on this one... Like I mentioned earlier, I would recommend removing all connections and reseating them, then attempting to boot again - cables and expansion cards. Someone else may have more advice for you yet.

i think i will have to send it back and get a replacement it is only 6 months old

So did you try reconnecting everything?

There is nothing wrong with making a return, but as this is likely due to something you did while resetting the bios, it would be nice to make good faith efforts to fix the problem - and that way you might not be out of a system until the RMA is done.

If you reset the bios through the jumper, you have to move it over one pin, then move it back to its original position before you start back up. If you leave it in the new position you may not be able to start up and you could damage something.

Without any further details about what you did, its hard to think of anything else that could have gone wrong.

I wouldn't give up without a fight! Did you unplug the AC cord, remove the battery and then clear CMOS memory with the BIOS reset jumper? Leave the jumper shorted for 5 minutes then put it back to normal. Replace the battery & power cord and try again. I'd do that before an RMA.

this is everything i have done and i have built many pc's
1. try and reinstall windows mce 2005 and it would go past pre instalation
2. reset bios as i was told in the manual which was : remove cmos battery move jumper setting to 2-3 leave for 15 secs place jumper back to 1-2 replace battery
3. rebooted pc.
4. held <del> button as i was told in manual to enter bios. that failed.
5. tried point 2 again same result.
6. rebuilt computer from scratch. that failed.

have i missed anything?

Pressing del repeatedly works better than holding it down, but that isn't your issue.

If you have two sticks of ram, install only one and try to boot. If you have only one stick of ram, remove it and reinstall it, then try to boot.

i have tried pressing del repeatedly no success and i ave even tried using a different ram stick from my other pc of similar specs to no success

Just curious and wondering what's going on: back to that big black screen - do you see a memory test at first, does it complete successfully then fade to black, then your RAID controller then lock up to a black screen?

If you see the memory check, isn't that when you hit del to enter setup?

Can you change a jumper to disable the SATA RAID? Some ASUS boards allow this. Just thinking it could be the lockup and then maybe you could get into the BIOS. If you use SATA, you could re-enable it later after resetting the BIOS.

Just grabbing at straws for now. And I would unplug the power cord when removing the CMOS battery and resetting the CMOS jumper.

Doesn't matter how many PCs you've built, as you know there's always one that's a real bear! But you've won before and I bet you can win this time, too!

i see no memory test i hav taken my sata and ide drives out to try to see if thats the problem but to no success! my only idea is to throw it out my window

update: i cant POST bios so im screwed if i cant get around this! does this mean my bios is dead?

Truthfully, from your descriptions I still have no idea exactly what you're seeing and what is happening. But I don't think your BIOS is dead. Over the years I've revived quite a few boards that didn't want to POST at first, one was even a bad flash. You just have to be deliberate and try everything. Searching the forums for "No POST" or something like that couldn't hurt either.

As a last resort you might want to do an automated flash upgrade. There's a way to make a boot floppy with an autoexec.bat file that runs the flash utility and your BIOS file. Never tried it but saw it in one of the stickies here. Seemed like you had to pull out the video card and that forced the crippled BIOS to seek the floppy and run the flash program. Maybe someone will read this who knows more about it.

Hot flashing is another last resort. That worked for me a few years ago.

Last edited:
one problem with that my floppy drive aint reconized by the mobo its working in my other pc so i need a new plan

Quentin said:
Truthfully, from your descriptions I still have no idea exactly what you're seeing and what is happening. But I don't think your BIOS is dead. Over the years I've revived quite a few boards that didn't want to POST at first, one was even a bad flash. You just have to be deliberate and try everything. Searching the forums for "No POST" or something like that couldn't hurt either.
im new to flashing bios'es i useually leave them as they are
Quentin said:
As a last resort you might want to do an automated flash upgrade. There's a way to make a boot floppy with an autoexec.bat file that runs the flash utility and your BIOS file. Never tried it but saw it in one of the stickies here. Seemed like you had to pull out the video card and that forced the crippled BIOS to seek the floppy and run the flash program. Maybe someone will read this who knows more about it.

Hot flashing is another last resort. That worked for me a few years ago.

automated isn't working and wat is hot flashing?

hot flashing requires a second motherboard that uses the same bios chip... You start up the good machine, let the flash program start, pull the bios chip, install the bad bios chip, and tell the flash program to finish. If all goes well you will have two good bios chips.

Without being able to post, a hot flash would be your only chance at fixing the bios you have, if that is indeed the problem which I cannot say for sure. Other than hot flashing, there is a member on the forums which can mail you a new working bios chip, and there is a website www.motherboardrepair.com which does it also - both are good people to do business with from what I hear.

Back