• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yesss!!! I just got my 939 3000+ in the mail.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EclipseJP

Just got it 2 minutes ago and I had to tell people who would actually care lol.

Heres the rundown:

ADA3000DIK4BI
CBBHD 0449GPEW

Retail box from newegg.

Paired with a 9NDA3+, this should be the most fun I had in a long time with my pants on. :clap:

Should I take off the heatspreader? That seems kind of risky considering it looks to be on there good. Right now I am just going to be stock cooling while waiting to get my new waterblock whichever I decide to get.

Ok gunna start backing stuff up hopefully I will get some posts before I put her under the knife.

BTW to add. Epox again impressed me with its greatness. The motherboard came with mini heatsinks to put on the mosfets and a little screwdriver. Nice touch. The box of course is nice looking like always with a little handle on it. But yes its a newer chip. I will have to hurry and see what she can do. My girlfriend cant know about it or I am in trouble. I have to think of a way to work on it.

Ill keep you guys updated.

JonasQ- I got it from Newegg, its in the first post. I ordered it on Friday.

It is from Newegg, per first post.

Hope it will do

2.5 GHz at 1.4 V
2.6 - 2.7 GHz at ~1.55 V

But since it is a 3000+ with x9 max, HTT has to be stable at 300 MHz to get to 2700 MHz.

Good luck.

What can I do to ensure that it will be stable at 300mhz HT? I am new to this whole A64 thing. I hope my BH-5 memory will be good enough for this. I know I will be needing help from a lot of you A64 experienced folks.

I know that I will be getting a new Power supply but I am stuck on 2 different ones. The Powerstream 520 or the Fortron BS 500. I have to wait for paycheck and pay bills first being the poor college student :).

With BH-5, it would need ~3.3 V to get to 240+ MHz which allows to run HTT at around 300 MHz with a 5:6 memory_HTT_ratio (max memclock = 166 MHz) in order to achieve 2700 MHz CPU.

Not sure whether your motherboard has such high Vdimm without a vmod.

With 2.x V from motherboard, BH-5 to 220-230 MHz, you may have to use 2:3 memory_HTT_ratio to drop the memory clock (below 200 MHz) in order for HTT to stay high to get to high CPU frequency.

The 3200+ in this respect would be more flexible to optimize CPU and memory at 2.x V as the x10 cpu multiplier and /12 memory divider are available.

The various possibilities are summarized here:

hitechjb1 said:
Overclocking 3000+ Winchester with "lower clock" PC3200 memory

CPU 2500 MHz
HTT = 278 MHz
CPU_multiplier = 9
max memclock = 133 MHz (aka 2:3 ratio) <---- set this in bios
memory_bus_frequency = 2500 / 14 = 179 MHz
or
max memclock = 166 MHz (aka 5:6 ratio) <---- set this in bios
memory_bus_frequency = 2500 / 11 = 227 MHz

CPU 2600 MHz
HTT = 289 MHz
CPU_multiplier = 9
memory_bus_frequency = 2600 / 14 = 186 MHz
or
memory_bus_frequency = 2600 / 11 = 236 MHz

CPU 2700 MHz
HTT = 300 MHz
CPU_multiplier = 9
memory_bus_frequency = 2700 / 14 = 193 MHz
or
memory_bus_frequency = 2700 / 11 = 245 MHz

Some overclocking scenarios for 939 Winchester

Overclocking setting for various bus frequencies (post 8)

Low PR 90 nm 939 Winchester (Sept 2004)

So my memory would have to run really slow? Man I wish I would have done more research before I made the purchase. I just really wanted the 90nm chip while not spending a whole lot of money.

Test out both the CPU and memory, you never know until they are tested.

If memory becomes indeed the limiting factor, you can still use the 2:3 ratio and push the CPU to 2.6, 2.7+ GHz. After that, you can decide what to do with the memory, either
- get better memory such as TCCD based memory modules, or
- do a Vdimm mod to 3.x V for BH-5 (to 240-250 MHz), or
- lower the CPU frequency (to ~ 2.5 GHz) and run the BH-5 between 220-230 MHz using 2.x V.

forget bh5, get some tccd and you dont need to do any vdimm mods. If your cpus a champ clocker with a weaker ondie controller, run 166 divider. If it clocks bad, run it lower clocks but at 1:1 I gain tons with bandwith

Overclocker550 said:
forget bh5, get some tccd and you dont need to do any vdimm mods. If your cpus a champ clocker with a weaker ondie controller, run 166 divider. If it clocks bad, run it lower clocks but at 1:1 I gain tons with bandwith
No, screw that trouble and just get an OCZ DDR booster. With a DDR booster, BH5 is still as good as it gets.

high volts have its risks and stuff can fry. If every 3dmark point counts then yes get bh5. If you just want excellent performance, high fsb and normal 2.7v get tccd, especially if you leave it at high fsb 24/7 with bh5 the longer you run very high volts, the higher the risk of frying stuff. Not so risky for short 3dmark runs but for 24/7 gaming I wouldnt use high volts

Well I have Thursday off of school and work. I could do a voltage mod if I can find it for my mobo cause I am not too worried about my memory. Whats this OCZ DDR booster you talk of? I really want a gig of memory neways so I might just go and get the G Skill 4400 stuff. Either way my computer will be better than what I have now, being that I have to keep lowering my cpu clock to keep stable. Used to do 2.5 but now barely keeping 2.3 stable.

I have all my stuff backed up and have to run to the store for some rubbing alcohol to clean the crap off the stock heatsink. But the building will commence within the hour. Hopefully next time I post will be on my 3000+. :attn:

Overclocker550

high volts have its risks and stuff can fry. If every 3dmark point counts then yes get bh5. If you just want excellent performance, high fsb and normal 2.7v get tccd, especially if you leave it at high fsb 24/7 with bh5 the longer you run very high volts, the higher the risk of frying stuff. Not so risky for short 3dmark runs but for 24/7 gaming I wouldnt use high volts

If you have a fan overtop of your memory, 3.6V of VDIMM should be safe with BH-5 (at least, this is the limit I personally would be comfortable within for 24/7 use). In this specific situation, we are only talking about ~3.3V of VDIMM. BH-5 is actually rated for extremely high VDIMM voltages, it is quite unlikely that it will fry with 3.3V going through it, so long as the sticks are kept cool. It is well known that BH-5 really only starts to see gains at ~3V+.

While TCCD offers great bandwidth at low voltages, it is not so great as to make it a great idea to toss BH-5 and replace it with TCCD, unless ~DDR560+ is going to be your goal.

Whats this OCZ DDR booster you talk of?

Check out this page for lots of information :)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_ddr_booster_diagnostic_device

Last edited:
bh5 clocks good for 256mb sticks, 512mb sticks kinda suck and besides my tccd will do higher clocks so ill still beat you in bandwith without the hassle of volts. many people are actually selling their bh5 for tccd for this reason, only hardcore 3dmarkers still use bh5 and 256mb sticks ONLY

the OCZ mem booster

some personnal observations.

i could get it to run on my DFI, but at those high voltages the MB started doing floozey things, had to reset the bios numerous times as the settings would not hold. got tired of it. bah on the BH-5 stuffs, sold it all and went TCCD.

plus it adds heat to the rig and makes it hard to run with 1 gig because of the 'footprint' of the booster takes because of the heatsinks.

my personnal recommendation would be to save the $50 the booster costs and put it towards some decent TCCD stuffs (like Gskill, whatever), you will be MUCH happier in the long run, trust me, unless you enjoy resetting the bios with every other boot, or running an ongoing experiment rather than actually enjoying your rig.

just my take. trying to save you some anguish.

baldy :)

Dude! I know how you feel!

2005/01/19 09:37 On vehicle for delivery
2005/01/18 16:45 Shipment In Transit
2005/01/18 13:37 Received at Shipping from NETLINK

I'll finally be getting off this 1ghz Duron!

Overclocker550 said:
high volts have its risks and stuff can fry.
That isnt true. This was only an issue on the Shuttle board almost a year ago. Current S939 or any A64 mobo no longer has that issue now. High volts = just fine

I myself do not like the whole ongoing experiment on the rig. It was fun at first but gets old when all I wanna do is play WOW.

I think that I will try to volt mod it and see what my stuff does. On my old mobo I can do 215 at 2.5236 but my north bridge is the limiting factor there. I would be happy if I could get it to 230-40 with the volt mod. Where would I find out where to mod it? I looked but could only find the way to mod the cpu voltage.

I have to bust out my old soldering skillz lol.

Back