• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Clawhammer so much more expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saruji

The cheapest that i've seen the Clawhammer 3200+ was 245 on pricewatch, at the same speed the Newcastle core goes for about 170, thats a 75 dollar diff, how come?? the extra cache is really worth the extra 1/3 rd the price increase? What has your guys expirience been with them? Is it just that the clawhammer is not in production anymore and is getting scars? Or are there performance differneces that are WORTH mentioning? Overclocking abilities better? Seeing how its a mostly a luck of the draw for chips, wouldnt the newcastle be more consistent with better overclocks?

i <3 my CH. the extra cache is like having another 150mhz over a newcastle.
i got it for cheap. 250 with a motherboard on ebay :D

wow 2.7 sweet!!! so does the extra cache show it in the benchmarks?

yeah, im shooting for 2.8-3.0ghz with this chip, but i need to do some work first.

anyway i think the cache shows when doing cpu intensive stuff like rendering video and graphics.

Saruji said:
wow 2.7 sweet!!! so does the extra cache show it in the benchmarks?

Taken from his sig:
Prometeia Mach II CPU Phase Cooling
PolarFlo GPU Water Cooling :)

The Cache, does help, but there not made any more, thats why there expensive.

Also, I believe the newcastles overclock better. I have never had a claw, so I can't verify this myself, but I have heard that.

-Collin-

Thread HIGHJACK NinjaZX6R how does you xbl 2x512 workout in that 754 setup.

As for the clawhammer you need about a 200mhz difference to match the performance with a newcastle so if you can get a claw up to around 2.5 it would be like having a newcastle @ around 2.7.

Saruji said:
The cheapest that i've seen the Clawhammer 3200+ was 245 on pricewatch, at the same speed the Newcastle core goes for about 170, thats a 75 dollar diff, how come?? the extra cache is really worth the extra 1/3 rd the price increase? What has your guys expirience been with them? Is it just that the clawhammer is not in production anymore and is getting scars? Or are there performance differneces that are WORTH mentioning? Overclocking abilities better? Seeing how its a mostly a luck of the draw for chips, wouldnt the newcastle be more consistent with better overclocks?
I thinks its a combination of the extra cache and supply/demand. You can find alot of clawhammers real cheap on ebay btw, because alot of ppl are upgrading to the winnies.

C_MAC said:
I thinks its a combination of the extra cache and supply/demand. You can find alot of clawhammers real cheap on ebay btw, because alot of ppl are upgrading to the winnies.
yep, i got mine with a motherboard for 250 on ebay :)

jonspd said:
Thread HIGHJACK NinjaZX6R how does you xbl 2x512 workout in that 754 setup.

As for the clawhammer you need about a 200mhz difference to match the performance with a newcastle so if you can get a claw up to around 2.5 it would be like having a newcastle @ around 2.7.

LOL. The Patriot is working like a champ. Thanks for asking :)

-Collin-

another reason for the price difference is the die size.
512kB more L2 cache makes the die bigger and uses more silicon.
this results in less cores produced per wafer (maybe even worse yields because of faults in the L2 cache?) -> more expensive.

afaik:

Newcastle core : 144mm²
Clawhammer core: 193mm²

roughly 34% more silicon needed.

Lifthanger said:
another reason for the price difference is the die size.
512kB more L2 cache makes the die bigger and uses more silicon.
this results in less cores produced per wafer (maybe even worse yields because of faults in the L2 cache?) -> more expensive.

afaik:

Newcastle core : 144mm²
Clawhammer core: 193mm²

roughly 34% more silicon needed.
true, here's a pic of my claw-
attachment.php

Back