• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what limits fsb OC more: memory, mb, or cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuriousGeorge

personally, I have a mobile barton 2600+ on a DFI Ultra B. I plan to OC my fsb when I get faster ram, but until them I'm happy to up my multiplier.

i notice average OCs for mobile bartons seem to be around 2.4 ghz; common settings are 240 * 10, 220 * 11. etc. (i got slow mem so I'm @ 150 X 16.5 = 2.48)

if i had pc 4500 memory could I just as easily do 300 * 8, or am I limited by the mobo or the chip itself?

The chip doesn't really limit you, but your motherboard definitely does. Those seem to max out for most around 240-250FSB. Mine maxed out at 240-245 or so. Some lucky people make it to 260, or even higher, but the biggest limitation for FSB overclocking on socket A is the chipset.

First of all, you need to provide your system specs before we can help you.

Three things limit the fsb:

1. The motherboard itself. As Johan said, some boards clock better than others. Also know that DFI boards are very sensitive to the bios being used. And the NF2 chipset doesn't like double-sided (512 Mb) DIMMS, so if you're using these you'll need to run CPC off for high clocks.

2. The memory itself. Some sticks just don't overclock well.

3. The power supply. Often times we'll find that a strong unit is necessary to get things in line when upping the fsb.

deception``

my specs

deception`` said:
First of all, you need to provide your system specs before we can help you.

as i mentioned I have a DFI Ultra B NFII, with an Athlon XP-M 2600+. i picked this board up specifically because of reports of people getting the FSB up really high.

as for my memory: i have PC 2100 from my old system, and the entire reason for my post was to help me start considering what memory to buy when I upgrade, to help me get the most fsb possible. as of right now, i run at 150 mhz X 16.5 @ 2.48Ghz, which is just fine by me, and allows me to take my time in deciding what memory to buy.

from what you've said ill avoid double sided dimms, and since i dont have much hope of getting the FSB passed 260, ill get some high quality PC4200 (instead of 4500). I figure if I can get my FSB up passed 266, decent PC4200 memory should get me to as high as the MB can go, right? At least, thats the conclusion i'm drawing from this conversation.

Last edited:
yeah I think you are on the right track... but before you go buying memory what kind of memory budget do you have... the reason i ask is that you might want to move into something that is a little more "future proof" as deception would put it.

What i mean is if you are going to spend around 200-220 you should start looking into some pqi or patriot tccd. this ram will be much more then you would technically need on your board however it would work great in a future amd 64 rig. and to be honest right now this is the best thing kickin in ram. If you are interested in linkage just ask.

Optimus Prime said:
What i mean is if you are going to spend around 200-220 you should start looking into some pqi or patriot tccd. this ram will be much more then you would technically need on your board however it would work great in a future amd 64 rig. and to be honest right now this is the best thing kickin in ram. If you are interested in linkage just ask.

what makes this ram special? is it future-proof because it runs fast or for some other reason?

i would gladly spend that amount and a bit more, if i thought there would be serious gains in performance. the brand i was looking at was OCZ, because, as i understand it, it OCs well. i would be happy to check any links to any memory you guys would recommend, as I can use all the info that you can throw at me. my goal is to get 1 gig of ram (2 X 512) since I don't see me needing more than a gig any time in the near future.

that said, as to future proofing, i would probably expect my next system, a year or two down the road to run a higher FSB, and as such I will probably end up buying newer, even faster ram. computer components are some of the few things i dont mind spending money on.

so in short, ill probably end up buying future proof ram now, and even faster ram in the future.

A lot of times your FSB will be limited on the NF7 when you're using 1GB of memory as it has 1T timing on by default in the BIOS & you need to flash it with a modified one which changed it to 2T to get the most out of the board & memory. I'm not sure how that translates over to the DFI boards but it may be the same thing.

TCCD is able to hit high FSB speeds (abet with kinda loose timings) with less voltage than Winbond BH/CH 5/6 or Winbond UTT (the new UnTesTed chips they're making with similar capabilities as the older BH 5 series). Buying good memory now means you'll be able to use it in the future & not have any issues... so long as the world doesn't go to DDR2 by the time you upgrade,

Back