• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barb size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robjen

Quick question, What size of barb should I use for my cpu waterblock.

I am building my own, and I am planning on using 1/2 hose, but what about the male threaded end.

Thanks

Same size are larger otherwise is how id look at it. Having a barb thats 1/2" id with a 3/8" od threads would choke flow. Then again can you even get a barb like that? Personally id just get these.

go with the ones ocs said, you can get 3/8 threads but it wont help or hurt your flow any since the threaded side will actually be bigger than the barb side, using something with a smaller thread could force water through the block faster though kind of like the accellerator nozzles on the tdx blocks creating better performance but you would need a better pump

I was looking at the 3/8 thread at the hardware store, but then I got to thinking too much and decieded to ask.

Thanks for the replies.

creepy said:
Same size are larger otherwise is how id look at it. Having a barb thats 1/2" id with a 3/8" od threads would choke flow. Then again can you even get a barb like that? Personally id just get these.

ya gotta look at the rating on the threads - 3/8" NPT threads are a bit bigger in diameter than 1/2"ID tubing so it does not present a choke point. the choke point, if any, comes from the wall thickness on the barbed section of the fitting (and some have much thicker walls than others).

That being said, the most common barbed fittings on blocks are likely 1/2" barb x 1/4" npt thread but I normally use 1/2" barb x 3/8" thread as it gives me more fitting options. Also, I have seen some 1/2" barb x 1/4" npt threaded fittings that have walls that are way too heavy - the flow channel through them looks like a drinking straw if not smaller.

If I you want to get a jet impingement effect, put some type of drilled or slotted plate under the fitting as opposed to using the fitting for that purpose. That way, if you want to change tubing size at a later date, you can do so without having to rebuild your block from the ground up.

Back