• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X850XT (pci-e) in stock at newegg!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
considering that it smoked SLI 6800GT's in a number of games, its worth the cash - but wait about a month, it'll be down to ~$650 is my guess - but not at newegg though

That is just not worth the money . In fact 6800 Ultras can be had for less , X800 XT cards also cost less . This $699 price is due to Newegg's availability + demand pricing scheme . This is a system that they implemented last yr or in late 2003 in which prices of things which are scarce or in high demand or are leaving shelves quickly get ramped up in price . If people keep buying them ................... more price increases . In fact I think that they have a pricing computer which can ramp up prices automatically based on how fast the products leave the shelves .

What it means is that Newegg is sometimes not the best value that it used to be . For example last August when Newegg was selling X800 Pros well above the list price due to demand , I was able to walk into a Nj CompUsa and pick up an ATI made retail X800 Pro for $399 . Meanwhile Newegg wanted near $500 for most of their offerings . Not so long ago CompUsa and Best Buy etc would have to have some extra special rebate deal or sale on an item in order to compete with Newegg .......... clearly that is no longer the case .

Cowboy X said:
That is just not worth the money . In fact 6800 Ultras can be had for less , X800 XT cards also cost less . This $699 price is due to Newegg's availability + demand pricing scheme . This is a system that they implemented last yr or in late 2003 in which prices of things which are scarce or in high demand or are leaving shelves quickly get ramped up in price . If people keep buying them ................... more price increases . In fact I think that they have a pricing computer which can ramp up prices automatically based on how fast the products leave the shelves .

What it means is that Newegg is sometimes not the best value that it used to be . For example last August when Newegg was selling X800 Pros well above the list price due to demand , I was able to walk into a Nj CompUsa and pick up an ATI made retail X800 Pro for $399 . Meanwhile Newegg wanted near $500 for most of their offerings . Not so long ago CompUsa and Best Buy etc would have to have some extra special rebate deal or sale on an item in order to compete with Newegg .......... clearly that is no longer the case .
Sorry to say but that is sooo true. I walked into Best Buy 2 days ago and bought a new digital camera, Canon Powershot A95, and it was cheaper than newegg.

Sneaky said:
considering that it smoked SLI 6800GT's in a number of games, its worth the cash - but wait about a month, it'll be down to ~$650 is my guess - but not at newegg though

On average, the x850 XT is only about 5-10% faster than the x800 XT PE. It's not really in the same league as 2x 6800's in SLI.

deception``

Little toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, for that price probably I would get 800vivo and motherboard or cpu and Cooler

deception`` said:
On average, the x850 XT is only about 5-10% faster than the x800 XT PE. It's not really in the same league as 2x 6800's in SLI.

deception``

You are correct but only in Doom3 and the 15 or 16 SLI capable titles that are currently out .

The thing with the X850 XT is wether it will be more available than the X800 XTPE or not ............... time will tell .

Cowboy X said:
You are correct but only in Doom3 and the 15 or 16 SLI capable titles that are currently out.

At the moment, NVIDIA is working on expanding the library of SLI-compatible titles. Furthermore, they have also coded upcoming drivers for the end-user to configure applications for SLI themselves:

HArdOCP said:
NVIDIA also shared with us that they are in fact working on an application that allows for new SLI profiles to be installed automatically from the Web as we suggested above. Not stopping there, NVIDIA will soon be delivering instructions for end users that allow them to set rendering modes by creating their own application profiles. These instructions can currently be found on the next page of this editorial in their entirety. Thanks to NVIDIA for allowing our readers a “sneak peek.”

1106071088TjJjMMHuN3_3_1.gif

deception``

I am aware of both of those promises by Nvidia . But at present that is all that they are ............... promises . So until then , my statement is 100% factual . Secondly as I mentioned extensively in the link below , user made profiles are of absoloutely no use if the title already can't wotk with SLI ! Furthermore it gives you , Nvidia's job .

I could go on further but , that is not what this thread is about , have a look at the link below and post any thoughts there :

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=359146

The fact of the matter is that SLI is still a very new technology; Hence, it is unfair to draw any clear conclusions concerning is compatibility. I'm sure that, over time, NVIDIA will do a more-than-adequate job in getting SLI up to speed. So it is true that it only works for a handful of titles at the moment (most likely those heavily benched by enthusiasts), but this "situation" should rectify itself shortly.

deception``

I totally and absoloutely disagree with you there deception . While it is indeed possible that things can improve with SLI , one must always consider and take stock of what is currently the case . Surmising on what could be is fine but when all is said and done if Nvidia doesn't keep its promises or the titles that you want to play are incompatible or never get profiles or get profiles long after you finish them or they become stale .......... you would have wasted your $$$ and alot of it too .

Secondly I have learned to stop trusting hardware makers promises to have things done and definitely don't trust their deadlines . I don't think you need me to , but I can off of the top of my head list a good thread-full of things which Nvidia promised would be fixed or working , which of course are still broken or nonexistent . In the past 2 years they have had a dismal record when it comes to driver support and keeping promises , why do you expect SLI to be much different ? For me , when I see it , I'll believe it , and based on the current methods that they use , it is very unlikely that they could fix all of the current problems even if they tried ( we can still be hopefull though ) . Finally all of these 'don't worry Nvida will fix it ' ' Nvidia will never leave it like that !' 'I'll wait for the next Nvidia driver ' sort of statements have backfired in a big way since 2002 . ( mind you several other manufacturers names can be inserted in the same spot as Nvida's ).

I think there is a balance between today's performance , legacy performance and possible future performance which must be struck when looking at computer hardware . But we must always bear in mind that that future performance may never come .

Thanks for your reply. Throughout your long statement, you have made it painstakingly clear that you hold a bias against NVIDIA, most likely from it's days of the FX 5xxx fiasco. It is now evident to me (and others reading) that you certainly hold a chip on your shoulder against this firm for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong: you have every right to feel that way, as nobody can tell a person how to think. However, it does not mean that one should be so skeptical about the firm and it's "promises."

Despite NVIDIA's past folly with their previous grapics line, NVIDIA remains a top contendor in the audiovisual and chipset markets. I agree that SLI does possess its fair share of bugs, but it takes time for things like this to be ironed out. More importantly, keep in mind that the technology itself is very new. So often times we find that it takes time before a novell interface and/or design proves to be error-free. Personally, I think you're being way too hard on NVIDIA here. They have some things to correct with SLI, I agree. But then you refute their efforts to try and rectify the situation? No offense, but you should try to sit tight and just give the company some time to iron out it's initial quirks before you are so quick to give them a thumbs down. Hell, ATI is just as guilty of failing to keep it's "promises," especially when it comes to its hordes of Vaporware. But does that keep people from being enthusiast about their products? No: Even in the midst of its availability dilemma, people remain high on their products and continue to hold faith that new products will emerge on the market. The same concept applies here. In other words, just give NVIDIA some time to redeem themselves here. Besides, you could stand to have some more faith given the fact that you are currently running an Nforce 2 motherboard.

deception``

Deception , you have indeed missed the whole point . I have given a statement based on current facts . There is nothing wrong with optimism and hope but I however temper my optimism and hope with current reality and also the recent past .

1/ It is still therefore a fact that a SLI soloution is at present a waste of $$$ if you don't play the games on the list . Then even if you do , it is also a fact that it is a risky proposition regarding games that are not yet on the list or are yet to be released . As I have said elsewhere the main problem is with those looking at a dual 6600 setup since it will often be beaten by the 6800 GT and when SLI isn't supported which is still the vast majority of times, it will work at the speed at a single 6600 which to my mind isn't worth the investment . With the bigger cards ( 6800 Gt and ultra ) , at least a single card still performs very very well and should do decently in future games so such users have a fallback while the 6600's don't .

2/ Where do you see that I have refuted their efforts to fix the problem . My point to you was quite straightforward , they have promised via a third party to fix something . We now get that info second and third hand , where is the press release ? You may think me hard , but last year they promised several things to gamers via [H] and then pulled out making Kyle look foolish , and furthermore they were then able to deny it all . But that is another issue . So I really don't see me as being hard on them .

3/ ATI and Nvidia have broken availability promises in the past year ............... I agree, and they have rightly held some stick for that . But again that has nothing to do with this SLI isssue .

4/ Contrary to what you think , the broken hardware promises aren't limited to the FX series as countless owners of 6800U and 6800gt cards will tell you regarding their lack of WMV HD hardware decoding . They will also tell you about the lies they were told regarding a magic driver and sofware 'fix' that was also officially mentioned by Nvidia as coming. They ( NV ) knew that the hardware was broken but they continued to spin this yarn and continued to print it on product boxes . But now after many cards have been sold they now admit that not only doesn't it work , but that it will never work .

5/ I fully understand that the product is new and will likely have kinks , but that doesn't mean that I have to buy them with kinks , neither does it mean that I cannot give what is an accurate representation of the current known pros and cons of their system .

6/ Finally, you talk about having faith .............. well faith and trust are earned , I do not give it freely . It has nothing to do with my faith in the great value and performance of Nvidia's Nforce motherboard line . If anything that should show you that I am not anti-Nvidia , but for sure I am against their recent shady practices and I will be very very wary of anything they say or do for a long time ............ with good reason too . If you see it otherwise , that is a matter for you .

Cowboy X said:
6/ Finally, you talk about having faith .............. well faith and trust are earned , I do not give it freely . It has nothing to do with my faith in the great value and performance of Nvidia's Nforce motherboard line . If anything that should show you that I am not anti-Nvidia , but for sure I am against their recent shady practices and I will be very very wary of anything they say or do for a long time ............ with good reason too . If you see it otherwise , that is a matter for you .

Obviously you have missed the entire point yet again. And for the record, faith is not something that one must earn. As a matter of fact, this is exactly what discerns faith from trust; in other words, sometimes faith follows a sort of blind trust, where everything is not spelled out directly for a person. Nonetheless, if you cannot comprehend such simple matters, then there is no need for me to continue this conversation.

deception``

Cowboy X said:
Deception , you have indeed missed the whole point . I have given a statement based on current facts . There is nothing wrong with optimism and hope but I however temper my optimism and hope with current reality and also the recent past .

1/ It is still therefore a fact that a SLI soloution is at present a waste of $$$ if you don't play the games on the list . Then even if you do , it is also a fact that it is a risky proposition regarding games that are not yet on the list or are yet to be released .......

3/ ATI and Nvidia have broken availability promises in the past year ............... I agree, and they have rightly held some stick for that . But again that has nothing to do with this SLI isssue .

4/ Contrary to what you think , the broken hardware promises aren't limited to the FX series as countless owners of 6800U and 6800gt cards will tell you regarding their lack of WMV HD hardware decoding . They will also tell you about the lies they were told regarding a magic driver and sofware 'fix' that was also officially mentioned by Nvidia as coming. They ( NV ) knew that the hardware was broken but they continued to spin this yarn and continued to print it on product boxes . But now after many cards have been sold they now admit that not only doesn't it work , but that it will never work .

5/ I fully understand that the product is new and will likely have kinks , but that doesn't mean that I have to buy them with kinks , neither does it mean that I cannot give what is an accurate representation of the current known pros and cons of their system .

1. Only to you. Second where on earth did you hear that modding a game profile is a risk? nV advises against it but so does AMD about overclocking...big whoopie

3. What SLI issue? nV said point blank "we arent making PCI-E cards until demand rises and our nForce4 boards arrive". I dont understand how that causes an availablity problem. Second they held off making alot of ultras to keep the price up and because of the availibilty of GDDR3. I have yet to see anything to suggest nV has a yeild issue...if ANYONE has a yeild issue it would be ATi.

4. Who are you to say that? Do you have a 6600GT? Do you have a 6800? No. That is pure fabrication. Here's the real truth:

6800s do have accelerated DVD support the problem is that they have made "GPU acceleration" too vague. I am using pure-video and the difference is night and day. nV said that 6800s do not support GPU processing as in the lightening of the load to the CPU...they support hardware accelerated FILTERING. Thats a BIG difference...people *often* get those 2 confused and call them both "hardware accelerated DVD". The CPU load problem is there *ONLY* because that feature was added later. 6800s do infact support hardware accelerated DVD, just not GPU processing. That was added later on the NV41 and 45. So long as you have a strong CPU its not a problem at all.

Btw the "software" fix does work just fine. Its an add-on that you have to buy seperatly. Didnt like that aspect of it but it works great.

5. Everything has kinks no matter how old it is. Do you think the IC7. NF7, AN7 and countless other boards are problem free? I think not

6. And how does that not make you Anti-nV? Frankly you shouldnt trust ANY company until they prove their results. ATi is just as guilty of this as nV, AMD, and Intel

Arrrrg .............. I had a big long reply and it got zapped :( :mad: :) .

Anyway , I'll try again :

deception`` ................... touche` . I agree that I was more discussing trust rather than faith since " faith is the evidence of things not seen the substance of things hoped for " . I cannot really see myself putting faith in any company , if you can do that then it is a matter for you . I cannot put faith in men .

Sentential .....................

1/ I don't mean risky in the sense that it would bork your hardware or anything like that. Neither is it a bad thing of itself but it has 2 drawbacks :

a/ While you or I may like being able to edit our own profiles , it does give us Nvidia's job . If the game isn't yet supported and we bought it and want to play it well then it is a good feature , but it can also be looked at from the opposite direction as something which we would ideally not like to have to do .

b/ The real risk here is that there is a very real chance that many games won't work no matter who profiles them . Several people over at Beyond3d have shown that some of the more common 3d game techniques are incompatible with Nvidia's current way of doing SLI . Meaning that if a game uses such , it really doesn't matter if you or I or Nv ter to write a profile , it just wouldn't work . Therefore buying a SLI-setup in the hope/belief that there will be user made or NV made profiiles for the majority of games or importantly the majority of games that you/I would like to play is quite risky unless NV adds to or changes their methods for SLI drivers .

Where user profiles could really work is where Game A uses engine X and has good SLI support . Then Game B is released months later using engine X as well but Nvidia didn't have time to test or profile it , so you the user try .............and presto , it works . But of course that is the best case scenario .

So I hope you guys understand what I mean by risky , that is that user made profiles may not be a cure for all .

3/ The SLi issue is the fact that SLI-capable titles are quite sparse at present and while there is room for improvement , I don't think that it is a good buy as yet . Mind you nothing is wrong with buying one board and waiting . Secondly I don't think I need to get into the numerous times that ATI dropped the ball with availability , this was especially bad since last year they promised retail availability for their products 1 month after press launch . What we ended up with is a late and super rare XTPE , a cancelled X700XT and it appears that the X850 line may be late as well . Nvidia hasn't been blameless, although ATI has certainly out done them in this regard , the 6800U was very rare as well for quite some time and the 6800 Ultra extreme is as rare as hen's teeth . I wasn't really talking about the PCI-E Nvidia availability .

4/ If I or any of us need to have or have directly experienced a product or situation in order to comment on the documented experience of others , then we could as well close down this site and stop reading reviews . But with that aside, from what I have read Nvidia promised hardware acceleration across the 6800 line at launch , not just filtering . This acceleration is totally broken on most early 6800u and 6800 GT apparently some people in some Beyond3d threads found a few early 6800 series cards which while not functioning with the ideal CPU use did better than most , who were still gettting very high ( relative ) cpu utilisation even with all of the patches and software . If the software has done the job for you , then that's good . Unless things have changed in the last month or so that is not the case for the majority .

5/ I agree that everthing has kinks ,well at least most things . But I reserve the right to decide what kinks/bugs I can live with . For now the kinks in Nvidia's current ( emphasis on current ) SLI soloutions are the type that would keep me away . But admittedly that is my opinion , other people consider it teething problems etc etc , and maybe they are teething problems . But I'd rather wait and see them fixed or at least the most of them ironed out before I spend my $$$ .

7/ Ahhh , I never said that I trust any company in that way .In fact in this thread I already said that I don't , and to be wary of what any company promises . What other companies are guilty of , don't really have any bearing on this particular discussion . For the record I have already posted in another thread that if ATI's attempt at SLI is similar to Nvidia's in support and use of ATI-only motherboards that I will avoid them too . Simple as that . I am pro-good product , that is why I have no problem recommending Nvidia made 6800Ultras and 6800 GTs as I did in this thread already .

Last edited:
Well if you don't want to spend $750 for an X850XT PE you can spend a measly $500 for an X800XL from ZipZoomFly.

Back