• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M XP-2400+: How low can it go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ardent

I'm thinking about a building an Home Theatre PC and was wondering how low people have run this chip as far as voltage goes and/or underclocking it. As this rig will be in the family room, noise is a concern so I want to run the chip with minimal heat and enough clock speed to get the job done with Win XP MCE.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

ardent

if its the 35w one then most motherboards are going to limit how low you can go as far as voltage, but on my nf7 i can go as low as 1.45. the chip will go as low as 600mhz but at 600 you should only need maybe 1v. this chips run really cool and i think theres a program that will take advantage of the automatic cpu stepping, maybe its crystal cpuid im not sure, but that way you can have it run 600mhz w/1.45v at night and maybe 1800 w/1.45v @ 200mhz fsb when you need it.

That app sounds interesting, I'll look into it. The default vcore is 1.5v I assume.

thx, ard

also what is your budget >?

is this strictly a low end for playing dvd's or will you be doing gaming to ??

More of a low-end box for doing tivo like duties. Was thinking of using the HauppageTV150 PVR for capture side of things. I like the Black Coolermaster desktop case which reasonably priced @ $80 on newegg. It is a mATX case tho, so a new mobo will be needed. The DFI KM400-MLV looks like value and has SATA. I had considered using the ATI tuner card for HDTV as well, but that would take more power than the video card I have laying around spare, a 128MB Radeon 9200.

I havent decided on budget, but it wont be a big money project as I plan to upgrade my main rig later this year, which is what I do my gaming on :)

Back