• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3700+ issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobj

Hilo all, first time poster long time lurker.

I recently purchased a 3700+ 64 and a dfi ultra 250gb board. Been playing with it for 3 days now and im trying to figure out why it just wont do what i want it to do. Using geil ddr500 for memory 2x512mb 2.5 4 4 7 timings stock.

I can run the machine at ~310mhz FSB if i run the memory at 1/2 multiplier so it runs a 145mhz. Past this i start getting prime errors.

I can run the machine at an 8x or so multiplier to push ~270mhz out of the memory and it primes as well, past this i get problems.

Pushing the 2 together i cant get past 215 at a 1:1 ratio, and 210 is about all i can really get out of it without pumping the VCore up a bit.

I have tried the CPU up to ~1.8VCore and the memory up to 3.2Vdimm and i cant post at 220 in 1:1. I have tried all the funkiness i can think of setting from the LDT (which wont post if i set it at 2x ever) to the memory timings (all the way down to 3.0 5 5 10) and i cant really seem to push this machine much. I got it to do stable 11*240 once but i want more out of this machine.

I would like to see how far i can get it with stock VCore, right now pushing up VCore doesnt help it get stable past 2600 really, below that its fine on Stock past that it just doesnt work lol.

Any suggestons on what to try, if i cant get 2.7 out of this puppy its gonna go back to the pound and get replaced with a 3400 90nm NC. One other Quirk i seem to have is stock speeds 2.4ghz i get ~34c going up to about 50c under full load. This is with 2x80mm intake on the front, 1x80mm intake on the window, 1x120m exhaust on the back with 2x80mm exhaust on the PSU. The cpu is using a cps7000B zalman for cooling.

And another odd thing if anyone can suggest a fix for this one lol. Running stock speeds in 3dmark 05 i get ~4700 score. Running at any other speeds seems to only lower my score. Before work i tested it at 290x8.5(2465) with a 9:10 memory clock and i got 4200 for score. Sometimes i get long pauses during testing as well if anyone can suggest a fix for this.

I am just hoping there is some damned switch i am missing somewhere that i screwed up that will fix all of my problems. :bang head :p

Last edited:
I think he's running a 2:1 FSB:Memory ratio, not a X.5 multi. Disable spread spectrum, disable Cool n Quiet (causes crashes if you change the multi as I remember), & try different memory. From what I remember being told, GEIL & AMD can sometimes produce weirdness (I was told this after buying mine). IIRC GEIL Golden Dragon is the most common perpetrator of problems. If different memory doesn't help you may have a bad memory controller.

theres no 90nm castles. have you tried running 240x10 on your claw? This will keep your claw at stock and underclock your ram, if this is no go then somethings wrong with your ram. I hear alot of pc4000 ram cant do stock on a64s, you want to sell that and get tccd with better timings and high fsb 1:1 your current ram has crap timings too

ok lets see.

All the specs i posted in my post are correct, it was a 9:10 ratio acording to the bios and it benches around the same score as 260mhz mark in sandra.

cool and quiet off, throttling off, spread spectrum wont even allow me to turn it on if im not running around 200 FSB.

Can run no problem at 10x240. Fixed a few other problems with other settings so im gonna try and tweak it more. Was hoping maybe there was another setting i missed that might fix the stability a bit.

Back