• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raising voltage does nothing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mantralord

Here's my system:

A64 3000+ winchester 939 (CBBFD stepping, week 42)
Thermalright XP-120
2x512mb Patriot TCCD modules
Abit AV8
Geforce 6800nu
Sound blaster audigy 2
Thermaltake silent purepower 480w

I've pretty much hit a wall when overclocking...I can reach 265 fsb at stock voltage (1.4v), and right after that Prime95 starts to fail, and adding more vcore does nothing. I've tried all the way to 1.65v and it does nothing. I've tried increasing volts to my RAM, lowering LDT bus, etc. and nothing helps. It's a shame that I have an XP-120 and the cpu will never generate enough heat when stable to make it useful. I love my luck.

What could be stopping my overclock, and why does adding voltage do nothing? Is there anything I can do?

I've the same problem although at lower FSB, but thing is that I can pass everything else but Prime :) Like Pifast, gameing, 3dMark, Sandra, F@H and so on.
THere is a thread here and at Xtremesystems about Prime and winnies and I'm not the one to say what the problem is but if Prime is the only thing that fails while others are good I've no problem with it :) So try some other programs and see if they are stable and forget about Prime if they are
Good Luck

3dmark2001 fails sometimes at 266 fsb...SuperPI does too. So it's not prime95.

With my luck I'm sure the ideas will range from "That's your max overclock, like it or not" to "Haha, you got an XP-120 but your cpu is useless above 1.4v, haha, loser."

Oh well, I can only hope.

NOooo people here are not that way... That's what I like with this place, but sure if you have set everything right in BIOS and you still can't o/c than it's your luck :(

did you try lowering multiplier, and cranking the HTT higher? say 300x8?

I'm at 2.4Ghz myself with my 3000. i haven't tried to push it more, since it IS a 32.5% overclock and i'm quite happy with that. but i've seen some push their 3000s higher usually by having 8x multiplier and 300+ HTT. good luck, let me know what works the best.

Actually, at 300x8 it seems to be prime stable (ie, not crashing immediately like it would at 9x at the same speed)...hooray!

Of course, at this point the problem becomes the crappy PCI/AGP lock on this Abit motherboard. It won't even start a 3dmark run at 66/33 lock, so I have to set it to 74/35 to even get it to start. It then crashes after a few tests. Hooray!

mantralord said:
Actually, at 300x8 it seems to be prime stable (ie, not crashing immediately like it would at 9x at the same speed)...hooray!

Of course, at this point the problem becomes the crappy PCI/AGP lock on this Abit motherboard. It won't even start a 3dmark run at 66/33 lock, so I have to set it to 74/35 to even get it to start. It then crashes after a few tests. Hooray!

bummer :(

well, at least you know the CPU can handle more than 2.4

i've got the MSI board myself, and this weekend, out of curiosity, i'll try to shoot for 325x8 (2.6) or at least 2.5 and post my results. no AGP/PCI lock problems reported on the Neo2 boards, from what i've seen on here.

Melhisedek said:
Bit of topic but
Is it true that one should not use 0.5 multis? Heard that it can create problems...

good question. i'm not sure, but would also like to know.

I read some place that you do not want to run .5 multis cause lots of problems that are not worth dilling with.

Back