• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Barton 2500+ OC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey guys.

I have a Mobile Barton 2500+. It lives in an Asus a7n8x NF2. I had Corsair Value Select PC3200. For several months I have had it overclocked 12.5x200 (2.5 ghz) My temps were fine. Well.. My CPU socket temp was always what it should have been.. I topped out around 50 I believe.. My diode temp, however, was reading incorectly. It would rapidly fluctuate (IE: 15 degree change in a matter of seconds). According to the diode, I was rock solid prime stable at somewhere between 60-72 degrees celcius :-]

I just bought new ram so I can get a higher overclock. I am watercooling once I finish building a case, so I want to be prepared. Since I have not finished the case I wanted to see what my headroom would be like. I figured that I would do some testing with a low multiplier, and see where my front side bus could be. When I get water, I could bump the multiplier back up, and keep the high fsb.

I have to be doing something wrong, because I am very disappointed with my testing results.

First, I tried 12.5x200, to make sure it booted correctly. Primed on the memoryish test for like 15 minutes to make sure my ram worked. Worked like a charm. Then I tried 9x215ish. Booted to windows fine, but I didn't prime.
Tried 9x225. Wouldn't post.

Tried a few things, landed on 11x215. This is about 2.35ghz. Temperatures were fine. Failed prime in 4 minutes.

My AGP was locked at 66, my VCore was 1.825 (where it was stable at 2.5ghz) my ram was 2.8v, timings were set to the loose settings.

The only thing is that I havent updated my bios.. I'm not sure if it needs it or not, but I don't have a floppy drive, and when I couldn't find the in os updater a few months ago, I gave up.

Anyone know why I am having trouble?

I have same board and same cpu and mine wont go past 205 without headaches,seems like either the CPU or the MOBO is the limiting factor.I havent got into trying to see what actually is the problem,as I have an A64 on the way.My CPU will only do 11.5 x 200 but even if I lower the multiplyer I cant get past 205 even with ram on a divider.

Alot of people have better luck overclocking the AMD mobiles by doig the L12 mod. I have done it, but am waiting for my new memroy to arrive next week before i can test it. It works with the NF7 boards by Abit, I don't know about the Asus boards.

Here are different links for the mod.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=214364
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=348396&highlight=l12

Basically it involves a thin strand of wire in the cpu socket connecting pins 30 and 32. It tricks the board into thinking that the cpu installed is 200mhz, so it uses a different set of clock tables. At least that is the way I understand it.

Hope this helps!

Back