• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 6600GT to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

Like the title asks - which brand should i get? (ex: xfx, bfg, evga, etc)

I'm thinking most people would say BFG since it's already o/c'ed and comes with lifetime warranty......right?

I was debating between 9800 Pro 128Mb vs the 6600GT and the 6600GT is faster and costs the same, even though it's much newer....

By the way: AGP versions....

This discussion has been carried on in seeminly dozens of threads. Why don't you have a look or use the search function? Most people have been pleased with their XFX boards, which offer everything the BFG boards have for less money. The heatsink on all the boards leaves much to be desired...comparing OEM heatsinks is splitting hairs. Save the $40 and get an XFX. (They've been making 6600GT AGP's longer than any other vendor, and who car argue with blue?) ;)

i've put these links on a couple other boards.. i've been looking for a solid 6600gt as well. hope this helps:

-as for my choice, im still at a toss up between gigabyte's 6600gt 128mb, or gainwards model (both agp). i'd go gainward but they are pretty much done in the USA at the moment.

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourceli...www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv43-3.html

Albatron Trinity GeForce 6600 128MB
Gainward PowerPack Ultra/1960 PCX XP GS
Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT 128MB
Inno3D GeForce 6600GT 128MB
Leadtek WinFast PX6600GT TD
Palit GeForce 6200 128MB
Palit GeForce 6600 128MB
Palit GeForce 6600GT 128MB
Based on NVIDIA GeForce 6200/6600/6600GT

also here's my favorite roundup: Galaxy GeForce 6600GT, Leadtek WinFast A6600GT (TDH), Gigabyte GA-N66T128D... leadtek vs. gigabyte...

http://www.hardwarezoom.com/viewcon...sp?ReviewID=235

bfg, lifetime warranty is a pretty sweet thing have especially on computer parts.

lethil said:
Gainward is a good card for overclocking but life time warrenty ... BFG the way man...Just remember overclocking kills that.
Correct. The only real benefit of BFG is the pre-overclocked card which will gaurntee you a better quality core.

consumer9000 said:
This discussion has been carried on in seeminly dozens of threads. Why don't you have a look or use the search function? Most people have been pleased with their XFX boards, which offer everything the BFG boards have for less money. The heatsink on all the boards leaves much to be desired...comparing OEM heatsinks is splitting hairs. Save the $40 and get an XFX. (They've been making 6600GT AGP's longer than any other vendor, and who car argue with blue?) ;)

I always do use the search - it never works! I always get no results found no matter what i type in....

Anyways, thanks everyone for all the input!

Regarding the BFG and the warranty: How would they know i overclocked it?? I just set the speeds back down to the way they were....if it lasts me 1-2 years good enough... :)

I forgot: I noticed around that the xfx 6600GT (supposedly) and the Asus 6600GT have the 1.6 ram.... is that better for oc'ing the card or just a bit faster memory? And would the BFG have that too? I was on their site and i don't remember seeing anything about that.

TombKeeper said:
I forgot: I noticed around that the xfx 6600GT (supposedly) and the Asus 6600GT have the 1.6 ram.... is that better for oc'ing the card or just a bit faster memory? And would the BFG have that too? I was on their site and i don't remember seeing anything about that.
Asus might. XFX definatly does not. eVGA makes a more expensive 6600GT with 1.6ns RAM. Check their site, i forget what they call it exactally...

Sentential said:
Asus might. XFX definatly does not. eVGA makes a more expensive 6600GT with 1.6ns RAM. Check their site, i forget what they call it exactally...

Hate to disagree with u but all the XFX 6600gt's come with 1.6ns ram.....listed in there manual and also mentioned in a few reviews...just can't think of where the review were at the moment.

Despairl said:
Hate to disagree with u but all the XFX 6600gt's come with 1.6ns ram.....listed in there manual and also mentioned in a few reviews...just can't think of where the review were at the moment.
I stand corrected then. Did you get the nasty new aluminum cooler? Just trying to get an idea if they JUST started doing this, or if you got an old batch before they opted to use GC20.

I apprecate you bringing that to my attn. Thankyou:D

Sentential said:
I stand corrected then. Did you get the nasty new aluminum cooler? Just trying to get an idea if they JUST started doing this, or if you got an old batch before they opted to use GC20.

I apprecate you bringing that to my attn. Thankyou:D

Yea i have that nasty aluminum cooler, which i removed and applied as5 to and also the bridge chip....a lot of people forget the bridge chip and don't realize it has tons to do with overclocking.

I have had 3 different 6600GT AGP video cards and so far only the Leadtek/Winfast model has worked out of the box with any driver. The other 2 (XFX and Albatron) were both DOA. All video cards bought from different shops. Go figure??? Anyway, the Leadtek/Winfast 6600GT TDH is my choice. Great software package (Winfox and there own drivers), nice big heatsink covering ram and gpu, good price, and overclocks okay. That's my 2 cents worth.

Back