• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 Tc - - Pathetic performance!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crana

i also got a tube of AS5, and a brand new Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 Tc (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58511) , but my CPU is running @ 50 - 56 Degrees Idle (it changes constantly) (i wouldnt even think about testing it load!) I know about the fact that AS5 has to burn in, but the CPU cooler is temperature contolled, but it only spins @ 1298 RPM, but at that temperature it should be going faster!

(UPDATE: I've just been looking at the reviews, and there quite bad, appantly the temperature is ajusted according to the temperature of the heatsink, which is no good :confused: , (what a waste if money! :confused: )

Could anyone recommend a better one, or am i doing something wrong, because the fan is able to go to 2400 RPM (approx) but it doesnt seem to want to!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Thats surprising i have Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2L and i get very good temps. Well this may be due to my proc my temps are in my sig.

Check if the hs is seated properly and the thermal paste is applied as i had this problem once when the thermal paste was accidentaly wiped of before placing on cpu die.

Hope this helps

RIPSTER

Tryed reseating (It actully had barely any AS5 on the first time i put the cooler on!)

How exacly could i connect the wires n stuff and is it safe? Remebering that i have no electrical knowelge!

And i wasnt acctully expectin to get the temp controlled cooler, i only noticed when i got the cooler! im sure i could do sumthin with the sensor, my motherboard shutsdown if the CPU gets too hot, so if i messed up somewhere, im covered

Im thinking your temp probe is off, cause the artic cooling cooler is nice. Feel your HSF and if its boiling, then your probe is correct. Plus, do you have decsent case ventilation? Sorry for my crappy spelling, just got done with finals -_-. I would recommend the Zalman 7000CU, quiet yet cools nice if your thinking of changing out your HSF. GL.

I got 6 case fans! (2 on back (exhaust) and 2 on front (intake) , 1 on side (intake) and 1 on top (exhaust) and a PCI exhaust, so i dont think thats got anything to do with it. And i just bought the cooler, so i would perfer to keep it, although if it doesnt get any better then i wouldnt think twice about replacing it! And my HSF is boiling like ya said, so im confused!

Last edited:
Well, case ventalation isn't a problem then. If you dont fix this problem with your curret cooler, bite the bullet and buy a new one, at those temps your processor giving you the finger :p.

No good, that cooler is only for AMD Athlon64 and mines amd athlon xp Socket A

Alright, ive been looking around the AMD section of the forums, and it seems the SP-97 supports socket A processors, so pick up a SP-97 (All Thermalright HSFs own) and you should see a drop in temps if your Artic cooling 1 is messed up. If your temps are still higher, then I dont know what to say :p. Oh btw, are you adjusting the V-core any? Just curious cause it wouldn't be needed if you arn't ocing.

The 7000CUa & 7000CUb support Socket A. The SI97 is also good cooler for Socket A but some people have gotten ones with convex bases & have had to lap them.

I havent touched any CPU settings, ive only had the AS5 on for less than 6 hours! So maybe i should wait a couple days to see if there's any difference, although im scared to leave my computer alone because of that stupid fan! Some times its @ 960 RPM! and the HS is boiling like i said, so it should really be spinning a lot faster!

BTW: There are some battery type things near the CPU socket, so 'big assed' coolers might not fit.

My mobo:
photo_7n400%20pro2_20_big.jpg

BTW: My System temp is 29 Degrees

Last edited:
The Zalman looks amazing!! But i dont know if it supports my mobo :(

Well, I thought the 7000CU did support socket A processors. But, the Zalman 7000CU is designed different from other HSFs, it will go over the capacitors so it wont hit anything. Zalman has better heat transfer anyways. If that dosn't work out, Zalman 7000CU or SP-97. gl.

So, does that mean it will fit my mobo? It doesnt say it does on there homepage, but if it did fit then that would be my choise!

(UPDATE: i've tryed switching all my case fans off and my system temp goes from 27 - 37 degrees and the CPU goes from 53 - 57 degrees (IDLE!!) and the RPM's Increase from 1000 to 1776, if it acculty speeded up maybe my temps would go down!

shorting the thermistor:

Little blue thing sticking out of the hub of the fan on two metal legs:
Wrap a bare copper wire around it a few times, go between the legs too. Tie off securely so you don't have a copper wire dropping onto your mobo.

Should be full speed after that. No risk. Want thermal sensing back, remove wire. Want permanent full-speed, solder wire on there.

... seems like standard thermal sensors really inhibit the fan a LOT until they get REALLY hot. that's my experience. they seem to exhibit very little speed change across the range of temperatures they encounter in your case.

sounds like not a great HS but should be adequate for stock clock.

addendum: 56C idle would mean 60C load, no great cause for alarm there.

i may have a solution!

i have a convertor for my fan controller, which means (i hope) i can controll the CPU fan, so, i am gonna try to do that right now, i tell ya the results

Back