• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q about Home/School comp profiles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

My current lappy doesn't quite have the ability to crunch 24/7 (overheating issues) so I have it set to only process when idle.

One home computer that I just updated (with my dad's enthusiastic permission--he's a space geek) has the capacity to crunch 24/7. However, it too is suspending when there's user activity. I went into my Home comp profile and can't find a way to change that.

I'll soon be adding another school comp (Navi once she's put together) as 24/7 (at which point my laptop won't be used much)...is there a way to tweak single computers within a profile, or do I have to add that one as Work?

There is no way that you can individually set the options for a single computer, thougn you can right click on BOINC's tray icon and select "Run Always" for 24/7 operation.

Inside the profiles to change the use of idle time, you need to find the options "Do Work While Computer is in Use" and "Do work only after the computer is idle for". Setting the first option to Yes will let the computer crunch while there is activity.

JigPu

Dreamstalker said:
My current lappy doesn't quite have the ability to crunch 24/7 (overheating issues) so I have it set to only process when idle.

One home computer that I just updated (with my dad's enthusiastic permission--he's a space geek) has the capacity to crunch 24/7. However, it too is suspending when there's user activity. I went into my Home comp profile and can't find a way to change that.
There are three choices to set up your computers ( Home, School, Work ).
You will need to set the preferences for each criteria and assign the Laptop to Home. Then assign your Dad's to Work.

You can set the Home preferences for your Laptop to:
Processor usage
Do work while computer is in use? No
Do work only between the hours of (no restriction)

Then set the Work preferences for your Dads to:
Processor usage
Do work while computer is in use? yes
Do work only between the hours of (no restriction)

Using the Home, School and Work profiles will give you the ability to have three separate preference settings that can be assigned as needed. You can check the client_state file to be sure that the correct host venue is being used. At the very bottom of the client_state.xml file you will see:
</proxy_info>
<host_venue>home</host_venue>
</client_state>

Last edited:
Back