• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8E 478 stepping...is it good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

I scored a 2.8E and sp-94 for $75 tonight, can't use till I get a mobo and ram, but here's all the info on it

Intel '03
SL79K Costa Rica
3408A857

then next to some little picture it says
4413B(maybe an 8)604

I'll probably use this and not a amd64 because...well....$50 for a cpu is godly ;). I remember it doing 3.2ghz on stock voltage, so on a mach1....mmmm...

Help me out!

That's a 'C0'-stepping 2.8E if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't count on high FSB's but who knows? It will be real sweet when you reach 250FSB. Don't give it more than 1.500Vcore max. though!

DamienKC said:
on a prommy, you'd think 1.5v+ would be ok...

1.6v would be plenty safe for a prommy. I haven't even heard of a Prescott core proc die from volts, it's the motherboard/PSU that go first.

Sucka said:
1.6v would be plenty safe for a prommy. I haven't even heard of a Prescott core proc die from volts, it's the motherboard/PSU that go first.

I've run mine at 1.6volt for over 3 months now and no problems.
Just control the heat. :)

Yeah, that looks like a C0 version. I had one of those last spring. I got it up to 3.8 gig with 1.5v and the guy I sold it to popped it over 4 gig with phase change (I think they average 3.4 to 3.6 on air). How much vcore your system will handle will depend a lot on the power supply and your mobo's power circuitry. I've seen mobos killed even with phase change at 1.55v.

$50 for the cpu itself. It's actually my old 2.8E from like 9-10 months ago, and i bought it back just yesterday for $50, and said for another $20 i'll take the sp-94, so he did. Mr.Extreme must have got a bad one, because batboy's experience is like mine, i could do 3.44ghz (forgot what vcore, it's been almost a year) on 5:4 because my ram was value ram, so i only ran it 3.26ghz because i could do 1:1. If i sell the Mach1 i'll have better ram and probably be able to run 3.5ghz. Not exactly a upgrade (i had a 3.2 @ 3.9), but more FSB and $165 less, which is good because it can go to a video card or hard drive or something. Personally I think it's a good deal.

I have a 2.8E SL79K running at 250fsb @ 1.48vcore in bios (Abit undervolted to 1.45ish) and no problems. I haven't tried for any more but I know the chip has more in it.... its the mo bo that I'm worried about.

Back