• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buggy graphics in kde/xorg/gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Washuu

Registered
I think it might be my xorg.conf, because I was having lots of trouble with that and just finally got one that was suitable enough ( finally would show a screen at proper resolution )

The problem is that I get graphics bugs as in my cursor is currently a 1x1 white box with little dots all over it, and any menu/window that pops up, the icons and text will disappear after a second.

Attachments

• xorg.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
It looks Ok to me I guess - perhaps its a software issue, something in X isnt installed properly?

Welcome to the forums btw :D

Can you post a screen shot of the issue that you are having?

Its hard to tell anything from the xorg.conf file.

Gave no errors in installation... though I might have some nvidia driver setup issues with glx and such.

Kind of hard to screenshot with the no being able to see what I am doing bug...

I'll go find the digital camera!

edit -

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Last edited:
Forgot to say... The mouse cursor sometimes just plain shows up as nothing.

Looks like a borked fonts issue?

xorg.conf said:
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/local/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TrueType/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/freefont/"

Try removing the #s?

Looks more like KDE is having a serious problem. All of the icons are missing.

Id try to remerge KDE.

Know how to boot into just the command prompt, so it doesnt go right into a graphical interface? Like a key-combo or something to be held down..

Washuu said:
Know how to boot into just the command prompt, so it doesnt go right into a graphical interface? Like a key-combo or something to be held down..

In X do ctrl-alt-f1 to get a command line.

Well, once I am in command line again, the screen is all buggy, I can make out the fact that there is the color command prompt beginning, otherwise it is black and grey bars.

This is just a xorg/kde problem, because before I got into KDE the regular command prompt is fine... this is also not a hardware issue seeing how my Win2k install still works perfectly.

How can I boot using original gentoo cd or knoppix disc to edit and reinstall things?

you might want to take a look at /var/log/xorg.0.log. as for the screen being corrupt, i had that problem with the ati drivers and one of the framebuffer drivers installed

i forget exactly. i believe i recopmiled the kernel, removing all the radeon driver support, because the kernel drivers conflict with ati's fglrx.

Um this is a known problem with 6600GT's in pcie with xorg. If you check the gentoo forum there is a big thread on it and it should tell you how to fix it.

Back