• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do You Silence YOUR pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ripper1

Registered
I was just wondering for ideas how you guys silence your pumps? I've been thinking of several ideas such as getting a thin piece of rubber and then attaching it to my pump so the rubber draws the vibrations but I was just wondering what you guys think? I'm also interested in how you secure it to the case or is that even neccessary?

I'm moding an old 386 case. Guting it then linning the whole thing in 1"of fiber glass acustic dampening material, so when the fans and pump are in there it aught to be silent :) plus I'm going to run the whole thing off a moded 486 AT style PSU, So all in all it will look like a working 386 LOL but realy it'll be the main pump house for my loop :)

Cute eh ?

I took an old mouse pad and cut some clean squares out of it using a razor blade. Works wonders.

creepy said:
I took an old mouse pad and cut some clean squares out of it using a razor blade. Works wonders.
same, i wrapped the pieces around it and then wrapped electrical tape around that.

That sounds like a good idea, because this 50Z is gonna drive me to drinking....

I hate higher frequencies, primarily when they are constant like this pump.

Im running it in a res right now but its thin so it still sits on my desk and vibrates so I just have it sitting on the pad. If i were to run a inline (which I will here soon) and mount it to the bottom of the case id use rubber grommets and on each side. Id cut small squares out of a mouse pad then poke holes in them and slide the screw through. For example see below. Red = bolt & nut....blue = piece of mouse pad green = grommet & brown = bottom of case.

pumpdwg3rq.jpg

I stick my pump (which has rubber suction cups) to a piece of plexie, which I have attached to the bottom of my case with a few layers of some poster mounts, which are pretty much double sided tape with a 2mm foam pad in the middle.

Yea that seemed like an attractive option, that's what I was thinking of doing creepy, my only concern with that is drilling more holes in my case. I just don't want more holes in my case in case I change my pump location or something. I could do what you said but just modify it so I don't have to drill.

1fwnk3

now imagine that pic with a csp 750 mark 2 pump on there
i use these little rubbes vibration absorbers that i got from my boss
i cant hear the pump at all when it is on.

~Magick_Man~

Hrmmm maybe try setting it on a sheet of sillicone. Just somehow square off a small area where you want it to be and put a bunch of sillicone and then put the pump ontop when the sillicone is semi wet. Then you can cut off the edges and make it nice looking with a razor blade. If you ever move your pump the sillicone will scrape right off with a bit of effort.

I use a combination of 3/4" rubber stoppers x4, #6 rubber washers x2, and some small zip ties to quiet down my mag3.

Basically, I sit the pump down on the rubber stoppers like they were big fat table legs (making the mag3 look like some sort of Walker), drilled two holes into the bottom of my case, then looped a chain of zip ties around the top of the pump and through the holes, which secured it to the case. Rubber washers went between the holes and the zip ties.

I tried suspending the pump, but the girlfriend kept on pretending it was some sort of toy swing.

Back