• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing need help 2800+/754

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

randokam

OC'ing need help 2800+/754 K8N-E

I'm running an A64 s754 2800+ Newcastle rev DH7-CG
with 2x 512MB OCZ Dual Platinum EL RAM (default settings are 2-3-2-5),
with stock air cooling on an Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo.
Right now I have the CPU running stable at @2.0 GHz, but from what
I have seen here I should be able to easily run it at 2.1-2.2 GHz without
a problem. I can get it to run at 2.1 GHz, but games (i.e. HL2) are unstable. Any suggestions on what I can do to bump up the CPU speed a little more?

Here are my settings:

CPU:
2800+ 222.00MHz x 9.0 = 1998 MHz (default is 200 x 9=1800)
vCore: 1.6v (default is 1.5v)
HT ratio = 3 (things ran much more stable at 3 vs 4)

Memory:
2 x 512MB OCZ Dual PLatinum EL
400MHZ
2.5-3-3-5 (memory default is 2-3-2-5, but with OC it wouldn't post - which is a bummer)
2.7v (default voltage is 2.6v)
Mem ratio is 1T (my board doesn't have a manual option for 2T?)

Motherboard:
BIOS ver 1006

Video Card:

eVGA 5900 XT 128MB (stock settings))

Last edited:
if it is PC3200 RAM I think it is entirely possible that that is whats is holding you back. Can you drop the multiplier and increase the FSB to get the same overall speed with a higher FSB and see if it works?

Welcome to the forums btw :D

I think you need to loose your memory timing. Loose the timing and up the FSb. Download memtest and run memtest to see if you have errors. You should be able to get at lease 230X9 with those ram. If your ram can support 1T I would leave the 1T on. Also if you up the FSB make sure you down your HT multiplier.

A buddy of my is running his at 280X9 on the Newcastle with PQI 4000 (the non TCCD) with 3-4-5-10-2T at 2.8V. He can hit 290 but not stable. I think it is his CPU cooler. He is still using the stock A64 cooler.

CPU at 1.6V
HTX2

thanks for the replies!

just got back from work.. gonna try out the suggestions... lowering the multiplier and raising the memory timings... the one that is killing me is the memory timings though.... kinda liked the sound of 2-3-2-5! o_O....
I also suspect that the Asus k8n-e board just doesn't overclock like the DFI or Chaintech boards I have been reading about here. real stable board otherwise tho.... we'll see....

memtest is a good idea... the system is running faster with the new RAM tho,
much faster than before (it previously had my old DDR 333 Kingston ValueRAM).

**long time reader, first time poster, thanks for the welcome!**

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and please fold for team 32.

_______

Have you tried lowering the RAM divider? Try forcing the RAM down to PC2700 speeds and see if you can re-raise your bus to increase your CPU speed. With 166 you should be able to push 250, ie 2.5ghz if all goes well

<subscribed>

Back