• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need replacement video card for under $50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbiss

Registered
My Geforce 256 w/32mb of sdram died. I need a replacement for under $50. I don't play hardly any games. Mostly Photoshop and web design.

jbiss said:
Would I be better off getting a TI4200 or something like that?
You migh be able to get one on ebay for $50 bux if you keep trying but you might end up paying closer to $70.

Never had one myself, but most people say the Ti is a better card. It may work for what you want it for though. You could possibly even go with a Radeon 8500 or 9200.

Stay FAR away from the FX5200. It's easily half the power of the Ti4200.

If you're just going to do photo/web stuff, and light gaming, the MX440 will work just fine. If you'd like to spend a bit more, the Ti4200 would give the best performance in your price range. I'd look in the classifieds or eBay, new ones are going to be more than $50.

64mb verions of the Ti4200 rarely sell for more than about $40 on ebay. That is my suggestion for a good card with gaming potential. With some patience you can snag a 128mb version for about $50, but since your card going a few weeks without one may not be an option. Actually, if you need a card immediately then the MX from newegg is probably your best option.

I got a MSI Geforce 3 Ti 200 128mb MS-8851 from a friend. I think that will work ok.

Last edited:
Nandro said:
You may be able to find one in the classifieds. It would deffinitly be a better card and at least give you descent dx8 playability should you need it.
When he meets the required post count ;)

Back