• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting through the network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hidden_sniper

Registered
Can anyone tell me a way of getting around my school's internet filter? I've heard of using proxies but I don't know how to set them up. All I want to do is be able to read forums with out having the "Banned Phrase Found" message because someone says the word gun too many times.

The word gun is filtered?
How the hell are you meant to research on any wars you maybe interested in?

Sounds like your school just sucks ***.

Why not do something responsible and start a campaign to get the school to review its filtering policy or at least consult the students on this policy. This will not only show to the school that perhaps as a group the students are responsible enough to view some of the currently filtered content but it would also keep you from being kicked out of school for breaking rules.

See my school sucks, they won't change their minds because there are some people who have been proven to "missuse" the internet connection. All I wanted was a workaround for a good reason.

if you want to change their minds about their filters for the right reasons then you need to present them with a good and well reasoned argument. There may be terminals that are not subject to the same general filters, if you can intelligently convince those in charge that you have a good reason to access certain sites they may let you. No-one in charge is going to change their mind unless you can give them reason to

P.S. This Sucks is not a well reasoned argument :p

The Internet is filtered for a reason. Why do you need to get to a certain site? What site is it. If you feel you need it for your education then speak to someone at the school/college about it. If it is for personal use or entertainment or filesharing then forget it.

not much u can do since in the end the connection has to come back in through your school proxies anyways and it will just be blocked there.

School ----> proxy -----> web site and then back through your schools servers

Using a proxy like anonymise.com will encrypt the ips of the server you are trying to connect to. When the acknowledgement comes back from the server, the schools proxy won't see what the address is and can't block it.

cryptoX is correct. Using a proxy will work...IF you can find one that isnt blocked by your school already. Try searching for proxies. If your school is using a system like websense, it will block any sites that have to do with proxies. One way to get around that is to go home and find some, then try them out. 99% chance that all the ones you find will be blocked though.

Other than that, there is no real way to get around the filter. Every computer in the school is usually behind it, even head of IT Dept.

I do a lot of work at schools, and filters suck.

I think you guys got the wrong idea, the filter isn't of ips, its of actual text. The filter doesn't apply to everyone at the school because I know for a fact that the few actually hardwired desktops lying around arn't filtered. The only real purpose of me wanting to get around this filter is so that I can look up clan pages, look for game mods, read forums, etc. Fyi this is a highschool with all wireless laptops.

Oh yea, and "this sucks!" is a good reason :)

You're in high school. You're not going to convince the extreme left folks who run our school systems that you should be able to see or hear the word 'gun' in school.

That aside, you should probably be using your extra time to do something that will help you in school, like schoolwork or something, instead of browsing gaming sites. . .

Yea, thats a completley different thing. It depends on the connections you have. Example, I help the admin at our school so I can get away with alot more than the other students. Not that I do anything I should get in trouble for. If you can get admin passwords, you should be able to turn off the software. Ive never seen one of those so I don't exactly know how they operate. Just don't blame me if you get in trouble. I don't know how your school deals with that type thing.

PS Laptops? wow, must be nice. half of ours are nasty old pentium 233s that never want to work.

hidden_sniper said:
I think you guys got the wrong idea, the filter isn't of ips, its of actual text. The filter doesn't apply to everyone at the school because I know for a fact that the few actually hardwired desktops lying around arn't filtered. The only real purpose of me wanting to get around this filter is so that I can look up clan pages, look for game mods, read forums, etc. Fyi this is a highschool with all wireless laptops.

Oh yea, and "this sucks!" is a good reason :)

Why dont you just wait till you get home?

Back