• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2MB cache in "600 series" make much difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightStalkerX6

Registered
I was wondering if I should wait and get a 3.2 2mb, instead of a 3.4 1mb - which seems like they will be priced pretty much the same. I like the idea of being 64-bit ready, but is it worth waiting for?

I -was- planning on ordering my pc first thing tomorrow morning, but now i'm not sure. I have about $1500 to spend on what will be mainly an audio/recording pc. I decided this would be the best gear/upgradability for the money:

p4 550 3.4ghz lga775
abit aa8xe 1066 fsb
geforce 6800gt 256mb/256bit ddr3
kingston hyperX 1gb ddr2 pc5400
(2x) wd 10000rpm 74gb raptor raid
fortron 530w
chenming server black

Are you a dihard Intel fan or would like to try AMD? If you go AMD it will be faster in games and run alot cooler....in addition to being cheaper.

Sentential said:
Are you a dihard Intel fan or would like to try AMD? If you go AMD it will be faster in games and run alot cooler....in addition to being cheaper.

Very true, but he mentioned no such interest in games. As a matter of fact, an Intel system would fit his specific needs.

Back to the topic at hand, I say upgrade now if you want to. Basically, the 6xx lineup uses a 2MB cache, but it will amount for very little in terms of real world performance. Of course, the chips will probably fold a tad faster, but the gains won't be anything significant over a current LGA 775 setup. My advice to you would be to pick up a nice J (E0) stepping processor, as they should clock over 4 Ghz fairly easily provided you have the right chip and some good cooling. Your proposed system looks good, but I would suggest the use of the DFI Lanparty 875P-T instead. It is true that I am very partial toward DFI's products, but it will allow you to clock your "J" very nicely using current DDR and AGP standards.

deception``

Sentential said:
No but his Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample did ;)

That may be the case, but I still think that gaming comes at a distant second to the audiovisual rendering, which was described to be the primary reason for an upgrade. If this is the case, a LGA 775 Prescott would best fit his needs regardless of the 10-20% performance loss in gaming, which appears to be an afterthought.

deception``

deception`` said:
That may be the case, but I still think that gaming comes at a distant second to the audiovisual rendering, which was described to be the primary reason for an upgrade. If this is the case, a LGA 775 Prescott would best fit his needs regardless of the 10-20% performance loss in gaming, which appears to be an afterthought.

deception``
Ah all too true. Didnt see that until i more closly looked at his post. Get the intel..

Sentential said:
Ah all too true. He didnt mention that here. Did he PM you about that?

Not at all. I simply read through the lines of his first post:

NightStalkerX6 said:
I -was- planning on ordering my pc first thing tomorrow morning, but now i'm not sure. I have about $1500 to spend on what will be mainly an audio/recording pc.

deception``

I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what to expect. I haven't seen any reviews yet about the differences.

batboy said:
I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what to expect. I haven't seen any reviews yet about the differences.

I believe the 2MB presscot will run alot better then the current presscot .

AMD wont be much faster in games unless you like running games at 800X600 or 1024*768 resolution. The difference will be so minute you wont be able to tell.

I bet the extra 2MB will help in FPS like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 , loading large textures on the map will come smoothly at extra high detail.

I think it will give the Fx55 a run for its money

the lanparty looks nice, but the reason i'm stuck on the abit, and am willing to pay the extra dough for ddr2, is the FSB. i wanted to be able to pop in a 1066 fsb chip sometime in the future. although i'm not entirely sure why, being that the new (x20,x30,x40) series will still have be at 800 and then knowing my luck they'll move on from lga775 all together and i'll be up the creek. i'm focusing heavily on the ability to upgrade, since it's going to be quite a long time before i can buy an entirely new system again.

no, i'm not hardcore stuck on intel. my last pc was an intel, the one before that amd, one before that intel. but as deception said, gaming is a distant second to me. i will play some games, as you noticed the 6800gt, but i would be very, very surprised if it was any more than one time a week. it's just most audio/visual software (i.e. 3ds max) is optimized for the p4. i'm completely open, if someone could show me a reason to change my mind, but for my needed tasks the p4 seems like my best bet.

NightStalkerX6 said:
the lanparty looks nice, but the reason i'm stuck on the abit, and am willing to pay the extra dough for ddr2, is the FSB. i wanted to be able to pop in a 1066 fsb chip sometime in the future.....
Why do that when you can just overclock a 3.0E to that speed? Just ask batboy I know he sure has had alot of lucking ocing his E0. :beer:

If thats the case, then dont bother with AMD. AMD is quite good but is ill suited for your demands

NightStalkerX6 said:
p4 550 3.4ghz lga775
abit aa8xe 1066 fsb
fortron 530w
chenming server black

I have the same mobo and RAM and must say they are an excellent match together. I can do 290 FSB using 3-3-3-8 timings. Why not get a 3.0 right now for way less cash than the 3.4, and then you can upgrade to a 2M processor later when they are readily available and they come down in price a little (then you can sell your CPU).

batboy said:
I have the same mobo and RAM and must say they are an excellent match together. I can do 290 FSB using 3-3-3-8 timings. Why not get a 3.0 right now for way less cash than the 3.4, and then you can upgrade to a 2M processor later when they are readily available and they come down in price a little (then you can sell your CPU).

ahh.. that makes my decision for me then. thanks. i never realized your green had the same ones i picked out. i guess you do have a point with the 3.0 i had initally picked out the 3.4 because it was the last price jump before "ridiculous" and was going to to shoot for 4.0ghz just for numbers sake. but now looking back, about 100 bucks for...what would the difference be really....10 seconds in renders and 20fps?

NightStalkerX6 said:
I was wondering if I should wait and get a 3.2 2mb, instead of a 3.4 1mb - which seems like they will be priced pretty much the same. I like the idea of being 64-bit ready, but is it worth waiting for?

I -was- planning on ordering my pc first thing tomorrow morning, but now i'm not sure. I have about $1500 to spend on what will be mainly an audio/recording pc. I decided this would be the best gear/upgradability for the money:

p4 550 3.4ghz lga775
abit aa8xe 1066 fsb
fortron 530w
chenming server black

looks nice but that raid-0 will be better if mated with a 3rd big harddrive for backup..remember when using raid-0, your chance of harddrive failure is doubled..

There are around here and there. I suppose I need to put everything in one post. The benchie I'm the most proud of is 29 seconds on Super Pi 1M (official-no patch). I also hit DDR2-800.

I saw that SPi socre earlier. COngrats, that's a great score. I'd like to see the Buff and Unbuff Sandra mem scores, Sandra CPU, P95 Benchmark, and 3Dmark and PCMark. Maybe you could point me in the right direction.

Buffered Sandra mem was posted in the memory section under DDR2-800 post. Sandra CPU is 13k, 3Dmark2003 is 13k (but I haven't really tried hard with that benchie). PCmark2004 is something like 6400 and some change I think. All these scores are done on a daily driven computer. I have the typical things running in the background, so if I tried, I could probably really do better.

Last edited:
Back